• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Did the shop steer me wrong?

BackLoafRiver

I know there is a good chance I am going to regret posting this but, here goes.

In case you missed it, I pulled the trigger on some DPS wailers. 112 hybrid.

I demoed them in a 178 last season and liked them. A lot. (obviously as I bought them) When I called the shop, we got in to talking about length. I mentioned that my TST's felt too short by a bit in a 174. Their suggestion was to go with a 184. After a lot of chatting about it, we went with it.

Now, I am scared that it is waaaay too much ski for me and I am totally screwed.

Thoughts?

Riverskier

I don't have any insight, but am a little perplexed why you would demo and love (enough to buy) the 178, but then blindly decide on a longer length. Did you demo the TST's in a 174, like them, and then determine later that they were too short? That could certainly explain your rationale this time around. Anyway, I hope it works out for you.

snoseek

I think you'll be happy with the longer length. I jumped up about 10cm with rockered skis also and am fine with that. Not to mention that you'll likely be using these on deeper days and length is just as important as width for flotation IMO.

Puck it

Not a problem. I wish I had listened to the ski logic owner and went longer on my full rocker which are 178.

Cannonball

^ yes I worry about it. But it doesn't stop me. My primary ski is 187cm, 115mm underfoot and I'm a dedicated tree-monkey.

But with that said, I'm much happier when I'm on a 163 snowboard in the trees.

Puck it

Thanks for the replies all. Do you guys ever worry about negotiating something that long in the woods?

I would not worry. Like I said, I wish I went with the 185cm in my SkiLogik's. Yours are only a little under 3" longer than the 178cm's. You may have to get use to them but they will ski fine in the trees.

Edd

If you want to feel really good about the purchase just ask the same question on Epicski. No ski is ever long enough.

BackLoafRiver

No.

I called the shop and they said that they were going to mount a pair in the same size that i could demo. If I didn't like the length, they would work with me. **Edit - the only nab is that I have to wait for snow...it could be 2 months**

On a random happen stance, I bumped into the shop owner on the chair at SR this past weekend. He was fairly adamant that I was a prime candidate for the 184. I don't know why I am so skeptical. The coverage was so good on Saturday that I wished I could get them out. (especially later in the day when it was spring bumps 101)

Bene288

That ski is pretty rockered. I don't think the extra length will get in your way. Even though it's longer it doesn't look like it'll hook you the wrong way due to the rise.

I ski a 186 with much less rocker, the only thing that SOMETIMES gets in the way while skiing the woods are the tails. However I believe the shop mounted them a little too forward, so there is more behind the ski behind than there could be. You'll be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk