Possible AZ West Section?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible AZ West Section?

Just wondering if anything thinks there is enough discussion or interest to create a skiing and boarding section for the western US. I know there are a few of us on here who live in the west, and I think we have the 3 core regions covered (Colorado, Utah, Tahoe)

Thoughts?
    2017/2018 Days

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2016/2017 Days - 34 (inc. 10 BC)
    2015/2016 Days - 57 (inc. 2 BC)
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47 (inc. 6 BC)

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

So I've thought about this for a while. We do have pretty good west coast representation, obviously, and a lot of people on the board here are regular "out west" skiers and have a lot of insight into the resorts as well.

AZ is postured as a Northeast forum primarily. I don't mind expanding it geographically but I don't want to ripple the water too much either. I DO think the "Non Northeast" catch all is kinda kludgy.

In general I've been wondering about the forum structure anyway. When I first came to AZ I thought it was interesting that really there was only (not including misc discussions) two skiing related forums - gear and skiing, with a trip reports subforum. Most other forums have more granular detail, so there might be subforums by state; for example. I don't know how beneficial this would be. We certainly have members that only care about resorts in a certain area (like, the New York crowd, or the Maine crowd). But the volume isn't so crazy that it's not manageable within a single forum.

I'm definitely open to thoughts and ideas. For the most part when I'm on AZ I simply hit the whats new button and look at everything across the forums. The only time I really specifically venture into a subforum is when I am making a new thread and need it to be in the right spot . But I'm not sure if that's how others use the board or not.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Can we have sub forums by brand too?
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

some delineation makes sense. I'm open for any suggestions or ideas on how you guys would like the forum structured.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm definitely open to thoughts and ideas. For the most part when I'm on AZ I simply hit the whats new button and look at everything across the forums. The only time I really specifically venture into a subforum is when I am making a new thread and need it to be in the right spot . But I'm not sure if that's how others use the board or not.
    I have a feeling that this is the case for the most active users. I know I only go to the Forum homepage when I'm looking for a specific thread that no longer shows in the New Posts.

However, I can definitely see how more detail in the Forums would be appealing to newcomers, or lurkers who haven't signed up. And I think those are the people you should be accomodating.

I never use the new posts thingy, maybe I'm still too much of a newby??

Instead of breaking it down by region, I think every member should have their own sub-forum.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    However, I can definitely see how more detail in the Forums would be appealing to newcomers, or lurkers who haven't signed up. And I think those are the people you should be accomodating.
    +1

Maybe it's me but it seems like there has been a lot less active users than before. It seems like when a new user comes on the site and asks a question that's been asked a few times already, they are given a sarcastic answer, and they don't come back.

But I'm just a poor peasant in the grand scheme of things

I could disseminate some AZ stickers to people out here that are interested though (hint hint)
    2017/2018 Days

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2014/2015 Days - 58

I'll tell you where. Someplace warm. A place where the beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Aspen.

Give me your address again I'll send you a bunch!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Give me your address again I'll send you a bunch!
    I just sent you a PM.

Since this is primarily a NE forum, I try not to post stuff that is perceived an insignificant.

There have been small updates I've wanted to post, like that Copper Mtn was replacing the Storm King lift with a new one, but I didn't because I doubt a lot of people even know what lift I am talking about, but if that happened at a NE ski area then I'm sure someone would post it and it would have some meaningful discussion. If there was a AZ west section I bet that people would be more inclined to post stuff like that and generate more discussion, and possibly draw in new users.
    2017/2018 Days

Loveland Pass - 10/6

2014/2015 Days - 58

I agree with SkiNEwhere. An Alpine Zone West forum under the Skiing and Snowboarding forum would be a great idea, plus the name is catchy!
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

Thread Information