• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

List of Open Ski Areas for the Weekend

slatham

Ok, bringing this forum back to its subject......

My early season awards:

Winners

1) killington and Sunday River. You can argue all you want between the two, but both have the early season, go for it mentality and fire power. Nice job.
2) Loon. 2 top to bottom 1800' vertical trails, first weekend of November? Really? Wow. They also get "Rookie of the Year".
3) Bromley. Might be earliest open ever, and before Stratton, Sugarbush, etc

Honorary mention: Mother Nature. She didn't kill it, but it has allowed some good early season skiing.

Losers

1) Sugarbush. Love it to death but what was once a perennial early season area (remember the top of Mt Ellen?) is now a has been. Even with significant early season natural at the summits, and plenty of snowmaking, they don't open. Is Win loosing his skiing mojo and becoming just a real estate developer?
2) Hunter. Snowmaking Capital of the world? They might not win that award in the Catskills anymore. What happened?
3) Stowe, for being snobs. All that money into snowmaking, and they use it, but only open for season pass holders? I could see doing that on say Friday. But to not open at all this weekend to the public is too much.

Best skiing thus far? Take a look at the Jay Cloud thread and the video of powder skiing this past weekend. Off-the-hook.

yeggous

You are forgetting Bretton Woods. First top to bottom and for free. They have 3 runs top to bottom with 2 express quads today.

Zand

Here's the short list of the major areas that aren't open: Bolton, Burke, Jay Peak, Smuggs, Stowe, Stratton, Sugarbush, Attitash, Cannon, Cranmore, Crotched, Gunstock, Pats Peak, Ragged, Sunapee, Waterville, Wildcat, and Sugarloaf.

Sure, a few of those are kind of on the rocks as far as snowmaking goes, but half of those have no excuse for not being open yet.

Huck_It_Baby

3) Stowe, for being snobs. All that money into snowmaking, and they use it, but only open for season pass holders? I could see doing that on say Friday. But to not open at all this weekend to the public is too much.

Killington does the same thing for a soft opening early season so how is that different?

How about they are ALL winners for opening before their planned dates.

steamboat1

Stowe has 11 trails open today for pass holders only. Some think that is snobish to open only to pass holders, I don't. Last year when Killington opened early for one weekend only both days (Sat./Sun.) were for pass holders only. Everyone thought that was great but when Stowe does the same thing they're called snobish. K opened early on Oct. 13-14 last year. The ski area didn't open to the public until Nov.5.

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Stowe has 11 trails open today for pass holders only. Some think that is snobish to open only to pass holders, I don't. Last year when Killington opened early for one weekend only both days (Sat./Sun.) were for pass holders only. Everyone thought that was great but when Stowe does the same thing they're called snobish. K opened early on Oct. 13-14 last year. The ski area didn't open to the public until Nov.5.

^ Exactly

slatham

Ok, I only considered areas performing above or below their norm, so no Brettonwoods or Mt Snow for instance. I didn't think BW had done significantly better than previous years. I may be wrong.

As for pass holder only. Killington did it last year in Oct. Doesn't count as it was last year. And if I recall it was pretty limited and in Oct. With Stowe, they have a good amount of terrian and it's mid-November. If they did this for a day - as I mentioned - that's cool. But the whole weekend, this time of year, with so much to offer, and nobody else in the region open? LAME. That is my view.

steamboat1

K did it for the 1st open day this year to. Stowe is only open today not the weekend.

Actually K did it for the 1st two open days this season also. The 1st day they didn't open until 1:30 in the afternoon. The second day was a full day for pass holders only.

Last edited:

4aprice

Colder air moving in. Maybe another sm window opening. Does this count stay the same? Increase? Decrease? I'm holding off till Thanksgiving weekend but interested. Still looking even colder the week leading up to Turkey Day.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Smellytele

Ok, I only considered areas performing above or below their norm, so no Brettonwoods or Mt Snow for instance. I didn't think BW had done significantly better than previous years. I may be wrong.

Bretton Woods I think performed better than their norm just as SR, Killington and Loon did.SR and Killington may just be at their norm because their past performance was similar. Mt Snow under performed.

ScottySkis

Bretton Woods I think performed better than their norm just as SR, Killington and Loon did.SR and Killington may just be at their norm because their past performance was similar. Mt Snow under performed.

Mt snow usually doesn't open up early they did this year so how they under perform?

Smellytele

They have done the small park thing in past years. I think others opened early this year so it seems they are late but they are probably opening about the normal time.

Glenn

Stratton opens Saturday for the season. Mt Snow re-opens this weekend.

steamboat1

Sugarbush - Tuesday, November 19th, 2013 - 11:30AM
Winter is here and the news just keeps getting better. Sugarbush will have a soft opening for current passholders this Friday, November 22nd. Super Bravo will spin from 9AM - 3:30PM and last chair on Heaven's Gate will be 2:45PM.
We'll be making turns on Jester, Allyn's Traverse, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Lower Jester and Coffee Run to start, and Sugarbush Parks will have features set up in the base area. Organgrinder is close to being ready, and may also be open. Stay tuned for updates. Grand Opening Day is this Saturday, November 23rd, with Super Bravo loading from 8AM - 4PM.

Bunch of snobs.:smile:

steamboat1

[h=3]The rumors are true.[/h]Ullr, Mother Nature and the Jay Cloud have joined forces with our snowmaking team for an early winter weekend, one week prior to our official opening date of Friday, November 29th.
A November To Remember from Jay Peak on Vimeo.

Play in our snow sooner than later. For the weeknd of November 23rd & 24th, we are opening our doors and spinning select lifts to get that snow monkey off your back. Enjoy Stateside trails including The Jet and Haynes from the The Jet Triple Chair. We also hope to have the Taxi open with access to Rabbit, Boulevard, and part of Chalet Meadows - we'll confirm closer to the weekend. We'll confirm this one too but we'd also like to welcome beginners early on, by running the Stateside Moving Carpet and surrounding terrain, located above the Mountain Kids Adventure Center (the big red building).

Look for freestyle features strategically set up throughout our open trails, but we will not have a Terrain Park operational at this time.

dlague

A couple really cold nights. It's not like they have a lot of terrain to cover ...

Brings up a good point - gotta love those smaller ski areas (100 acres or lower) that announce that they are one of the first to be 100% open.

dlague

Wow - read more of this thread - ski areas are popping up like crazy! Funny a cold snap and boom!