• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Nov 17 2013 ... Springish... and now I can prove my speed

bdfreetuna

You and anyone else. I don't give a sh*t about this highway star he sounds like even more of a bragger than me. I'm not trying to get myself killed just to prove a point.

C-Rex

That was a good explanation. I would add that probably more accurate speed sensors use more than 2 data points and place them on a curve so it averages out, so your max speed is really the max speed you had over, say, at least a few seconds as opposed to that microsecond top speed.

Right. The more data points used, the more accurate it will be, BUT then you are venturing towards average speed and farther from your true max speed since more often than not we only top out for a brief moment when skiing. What you need to get a accurate max speed is a high rate of data point collection AND an accurate measurement of distance, but any phone GPS I've seen so far is just not capable of those things.

Point is, if you want to truly know how fast you can go, have someone clock you with a radar gun. Or, if you had some good timing equipment, you could set up a speed trap at the bottom of a long steep run. That would be a cool feature to add to the Epic pass. It could read your RFID as you go through, measure your speed and then send the results to your account.

Puck it

You and anyone else. I don't give a sh*t about this highway star he sounds like even more of a bragger than me. I'm not trying to get myself killed just to prove a point.

Why would I go all the way out to the Berkshires to prove something? I have nothing to prove. I know I can ski and don't brag about.

C-Rex

The local authorities and current etiquette generally encourage a private setting for such activities, yes.

bdfreetuna

Why would I go all the way out to the Berkshires to prove something? I have nothing to prove. I know I can ski and don't brag about.

Alright well if you got nothing to prove maybe don't come into people's ski report threads calling BS Nannies on their speeds so much?

Maybe the GPS was off by 10mph but I skied fast. I usually do ski fast. It's alright.

People saying I took shitty turns down Berkshire East I'd like to see you slay that mountain any faster when it's all bumped up on the top half. Only possible faster way down is via Competition if you did a straight shot and that takes balls.

Puck it

Alright well if you got nothing to prove maybe don't come into people's ski report threads calling BS Nannies on their speeds so much?

Maybe the GPS was off by 10mph but I skied fast. I usually do ski fast. It's alright.

You did not even hit 66mph. Nowhere near it. When you brag at least try to make it some what believable. I will call out anyone on crap. Even if you were doing 40 ish, it was dangerous.

So, bullshit.

bdfreetuna

Put the money where the mouth is sometime this season. Sorry you think exceeding 40 is dangerous. Good thing ski patrol at Killington has a better sense of humor about things.

btw Rossi Phantom 185cm 80 waist. You got faster skis? These things are like hot rails at speed.

Last edited:

Puck it

Put the money where the mouth is sometime this season. Sorry you think exceeding 40 is dangerous. Good thing ski patrol at Killington has a better sense of humor about things.

I did not say 40 was dangerous by itself but given the conditions and the run. It was. And in regards to the ski patroller, he probably calculated your speed to much less than 66ish more like in the 30's.

Next time also, pick a better run to say you went to ludicrous speed on than Chute. It is has a slope in degrees of 17 to 22. You need to be believable in your Bullshit.

Riverskier

Wow, tough crowd. I don't buy 76 mph either, but it's not like it was made up. GPS sounds anyway like a pretty solid method of confirming one's speed. I am learning here that actually isn't the case, but not everyone is going to gave the technical knowledge to understand "data points" and whatnot.

JimG.

Staff member

btw Rossi Phantom 185cm 80 waist. You got faster skis? These things are like hot rails at speed.

As long as you don't try to hit 75mph while consuming alcoholic beverages...because that would be dangerous.

Puck it

Wow, tough crowd. I don't buy 76 mph either, but it's not like it was made up. GPS sounds anyway like a pretty solid method of confirming one's speed. I am learning here that actually isn't the case, but not everyone is going to gave the technical knowledge to understand "data points" and whatnot.

Come on. You have to call the crap when you read it.

bdfreetuna

Seriously? You just said this? If you can hit "70+mph" on skis then staight-lining Competition is a walk in the park. No balls needed.

Enter this. I bet you don't break 60mph

http://www.jaydownhill.com/

Usually that shit is kind of icey or skied off because of all the racers up top. Tucking the lower 3/4ths of the mountain via that route is usually cake.

I'm done with racing... unless it's a ski off or with friends. I push myself too fast and am liable to get hurt. Learned my lesson after a dislocated shoulder a couple years ago. Usually don't try to ski that fast unless it's Berkshire East or somewhere I'm very familiar with the terrain or I'm trying out a new app or something.

MadMadWorld

Oh what the heck, this could be fun.....I can offer up my LIDAR for an afternoon if people really want to have a ski off.....this would be just too good to pass up.

dlague

There are skiers who ski fast!
There are skiers who kill it in the glades.
There are skiers that slay powder with ease.
There are skiers that can laydown bumps like they are flat.
There are skiers that put it up in the park with style.

So what!

I do it all (not the top in any category) and I challenge only myself - why? Because, being cocky just does not look good or sit well with most! If anyone is out there to make an impression so everyone thinks you are good then have fun with that!

Can't we all just get along?