• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Holyoke Range (East) Traverse MA 1-7-7

MarcHowes

Website
www.hoosactunnel.net
Date(s) Hiked: 1-7-07

Trails(s) Hiked:Metacomet Monadnock

Total Distance: 11.6

Difficulty: Length: Moderately Hard, Vertical: Pretty tame, but it accumulates

Conditions: Unseasonably warm and kick ass

Special Required Equipment: t-shirt and shorts (I guess this counts as special for January)

Trip Report:

Ah, probably an often overlooked range by most people on the online forums, but still pretty nice: The Seven sisters (Holyoke range) of Western Mass. The peaks are very low (900-1100 ft) but they are prominent so they make for some nice views of some pretty ugly places (umass). The river views on Mt Holyoke are probably the best of the bunch, but the more eastern peaks have got better long distance views into VT. Even Wachusett is visible from Norwottuck. Definitely worth a shot if you are in the area. This range would also make a good training spot if you want to get in shape for the Whites or something bigger.

For more trip report and pics go here: http://www.hoosactunnel.net/nonhoosac/MA/Holyoke070107/

P1070074_t.jpg

SilentCal

That's one of my favorite places to hike. Better views were available when the towers on Mt. Hitchcock, Mt. Norrowtuck and Long Mountain were still up. You are correct that it is a good place to train for longer hikes as there are a long of ups and downs.

Mike P.

It is a great local spot. I like the views from Bare Peak. I haven't done the whole range yet, on that side of I-91 I've been on the peaks east of Hitchcock (including Hitchcock)only.