• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Marketplace

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Would you guys be interested in a marketplace for members selling gear? The updated vbulletin I will be installing soon has it baked in. TGR uses it, this is how it looks:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/classifieds.php

I'm just reviewing it now to see how it works. MIght be easier than starting new posts FS, but it probably also depends on volume.

HD333

I would suggest a "Props To" sticky like TGR. Selling stuff online you often have to trust the seller/buyer, especially if shipping stuff. People could post their selling/buying experiences with individuals so others can get a feel for who they can trust.

ScottySkis

I would suggest a "Props To" sticky like TGR. Selling stuff online you often have to trust the seller/buyer, especially if shipping stuff. People could post their selling/buying experiences with individuals so others can get a feel for who they can trust.

Well if we use Pay Pal pretty sure that you can set up so stuff doesn't ship unto money is in account.

HD333

Well if we use Pay Pal pretty sure that you can set up so stuff doesn't ship unto money is in account.

True, but the person sending the $ is still taking somewhat of a risk. I am a cash/check trust kind of guy this could take some of the guesswork out of it.

I am also thinking for stuff like, Condition of skis were as described, stuff arrived quickly, easy to do business with....etc...general feedback on a transaction. Nick mentioned modeling this after TGR (a Gear Swap forum may work too) and I have unloaded stuff there and the "Props To" sticky seems to work there, hence the reason for mentioning it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
OK. I'm going to try doing the VB upgrade tonight. It's a point / security release primarily so you won't see any noticeable differences on the forum, except for the addition of a marketplace (once I turn it on).

I'll try enabling the marketplace at some point over the weekend and we can test it out.

skiNEwhere

Sounds like a great idea! I would add a disclaimer though that "AZ is not responsible for bla bla bla, etc" to cover your butt though

powdahbonz

Yes-great idea. Plenty of forums have this work but again there is always that risk of buyer beware. The tighter the network, lesser the risk.