• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thanksgiving Week Storm

Came nicely east, and a touch colder.

I'm not getting my hopes up unless tonight's 0z run keeps the idea brewing, but if it's consistent Jay Peak could get a good foot or so from this.

Makes me wonder how many trails an 12 additional inches at Jay could mean for trail count on Black Friday? They've already been pounded pretty good and it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

How are things looking for the Sunapee area. I'll be up there for t-day and I'm hoping for some turns. Would this wipe out their snowmaking progress?

Glenn

Local weather guy did the radar projection for this one. It looked OK in VT until the storm started pulling in from the coast. The rain line was the entire state. Ugh.

wa-loaf

They said 55 degrees in the Boston area with 1-3 inches of rain. Not going to be good ...

hammer

Other concern is on the timing with the holiday travel...will this mean Tuesday will be a commuting nightmare in the Boston area?

Just hope there will be payback in a good way. Know everyone likes to get started early but I'll take a blowtorch in November if it means consistently better conditions in a week or two (or three).

Warp Daddy

Looks like NNY is in the sweet spot , today we have a winter storm watch posted for tomorrow nite thru awed nite , possibly 6-10 inches ...we'll see :fangun:

4aprice

There's more cold air on the backside of this thing. Temp spike should be short. Should cement anything that is down already. But another seemingly promising snow making window opens right after. The good thing is we need the rain. There is an old saying that "It's got to get wet before it gets white". Hopefully this starts something. Gut feeling is we have a good winter maybe "bookended" (good start-milder-good end). I'll probably push the start of the season off another week.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ScottySkis

There's more cold air on the backside of this thing. Temp spike should be short. Should cement anything that is down already. But another seemingly promising snow making window opens right after. The good thing is we need the rain. There is an old saying that "It's got to get wet before it gets white". Hopefully this starts something. Gut feeling is we have a good winter maybe "bookended" (good start-milder-good end). I'll probably push the start of the season off another week.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

+1 I hope platty snow making doesn't get washed away.

ScottySkis

Now my local weather for were I live saying north NJ might get several inches hopefully Catskills get this snow to.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It could easily snow a couple inches, but show no accumulation due to switchover to rain. That's one of the pitfalls of model hugging. They just show fallen liquid precip, but there are many other factors which go into accumulations.

Quietman

I like this modeled graphics site. [url]http://coolwx.com/ptype/[/URL]

You can switch between GFS and NAM and options to show accumulated precip by type. It displays the most recent model run, but you can also look at previous runs if you want. Any know of a similar site that show this type of display for the European model?

Yes, I am a weather geek!

I definitely think that the Greens could get anywhere from 1-6 inches on the backside. It all hinges on how much cold air can rotate back into the system.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Quietman

If we could just move the storm 100 miles to the east. Although this now shows VT picking up some.

CONUS_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL-KUCHERA_84HR.gif

drjeff

Storm looks so promising at the moment.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/features/trend/radar_track_the_snow_sleet_and/20350696

Too bad we all know what's going to happen.

That's what so frustrating this time of year.

The other factor that often tends to be overlooked about early season Nor'easter-esque storms, and even with some classical Coast cutting Alberta Clipper type storms that head for New England is how "warm" the Atlantic still is right now and how all of that "warm" moisture that gets picked up as the low pressure gets close enough to tap into that Atlantic moisture and what effect that has on the "cold" core of air already in the system.

It seems like the computer models just default into full winter mode and almost assume that the water of the Atlantic is in the 30's and won't have quite the effect of warming up the air columns as it often does this time of year :-(