• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain

dlague

Ragged Mountain 11/30/2013

Date Skied: 11/30/2013

Conditions: Packed Powder on Frozen Hard Pack

We originally planned on going to Killington but then heard that Ragged was opening so plans were changed. We looked up deals on Liftopia and got great deals which included a $10 lunch voucher. Average cost per person $29.50 including the $10 voucher.

The report for Saturday was Spear Mountain Triple and 6 Pak Express quad were opening but a bearing went on Spear Mountain Triple so it was going to be Exhibition for the day. First thought was not so nice but that was changed after our first run. The run was fast and with fresh wax and sharpened edges we ripped it up! We got there around 10:30 and ended up lapping four runs before we went to get lunch and a couple beers!

I usually do not ski this run often and hit other trails that seem more enticing, however, it was a blast! We skied hard and fast the whole time we were there! My son was pulling 360's off a whale at the base. I was a little more conservative and went for simple air! There were other good spots to hit as well.

After lunch we lapped another six runs with not stop skiing top to bottom! The last couple of runs there were scrapped off spots but the trail edges were still nice with small bumps developing. All in all it was a quad burning day that was super fun! Got home to find other muscles in the groin area, hamstrings and calves that got a work out as well!

There were several families that kids that were starting off and it made me think of a few threads relating to protective parents! I kept that in mind while I approached them. I even helped out in a situation where the father was down slope and the daughter lost her ski - she could not reach it so I got for her and helped her to get the ski back on! My concern was here location which was somewhat of a blind spot (down hill side of a drop). The dad was thankful!

1012740_10202560134266013_1286791469_n.jpg

1453383_10202560133265988_1862374669_n.jpg

Last edited:

xwhaler

Nice report.....Ragged is a good play for early season as both Exhibition and Flying Yankee are nice runs. It's usually quiet as your pics seem to indicate and they run some good deals on Liftopia. You can bang out a lot of vertical quickly riding that 6 pack.

dlague

Nice report.....Ragged is a good play for early season as both Exhibition and Flying Yankee are nice runs. It's usually quiet as your pics seem to indicate and they run some good deals on Liftopia. You can bang out a lot of vertical quickly riding that 6 pack.

Absolutely! There were a few groups that would slow things down a few times but that was OK.

hiroto

It is nice to see that their snow making investment is finally paying off to be able to open this early with this much coverage.

canobie#1

It sucks they delayed the express again!!! But ragged still is one of the best places In NH. Was the waffle cabin open?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks good. Too bad about a bearing blowing. Which one was it? If it is the bullwheel, that is not an easy or cheap fix.

thetrailboss

Staff member
And way to help out that young girl and her Dad. If I see someone having trouble I always stop to ask if I can help.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Not good news about the bearings on the Spear Triple. Any word that day about how long it would be down? Their trail report doesn't show Spear as running but that could be just that's it's mid-week.

dlague

Not good news about the bearings on the Spear Triple. Any word that day about how long it would be down? Their trail report doesn't show Spear as running but that could be just that's it's mid-week.

Well they never got it going that day or Sunday - so probably still fixing it! Too bad - they had Flying Yankee covered top to bottom.

dlague

Is this what finally prompts them to get the Spear lift replaced? Shame it was on opening weekend.

Really! They had listed as an open chair at 7:30 am with Flying Yankee and when we got there around 10 ish it was not running! I guess they had a good plan!

dmw

I heard they got it open on Monday; first riders just reached the top.