• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GoPros

skiNEwhere

very disappointed in battery life on the gopro. doesn't last more than a couple hours.

What setting? With mine on 1080 60fps I barely get 10 minutes. I bought 2 3rd party backup batteries for $30 total, not too bad.

gmcunni

What setting? With mine on 1080 60fps I barely get 10 minutes. I bought 2 3rd party backup batteries for $30 total, not too bad.

IDK to be honest. default settings at this point. pretty cold today, only got 5 runs in before it died. i leave it on but only record while skiing (not recording on lift).

skiNEwhere

IDK to be honest. default settings at this point. pretty cold today, only got 5 runs in before it died. i leave it on but only record while skiing (not recording on lift).

I noticed the battery drains pretty quickly even when on but not recording. I try to remember to turn it off when not in use.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
How much time do you guys spend processing, reviewing and editing your video? I'm dabbling in it because I want to make some short, simple vids when I go west in a few weeks. Best thing to keep it from being overwhelming seems to take a total of about 10 minutes of video and reduce it to about 60 seconds of "highlights"? I'm going to use a 1 year old digital camera for these simple "travelogue" videos because it takes better resolution than my son's 3 year old Contour.

It really depends on how many cuts you make and how many individual video files you are splicing together. Also adding graphics and effects adds time as well.
This one took me about an hour and a half to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyYfSySIF_o

gmcunni

An hour of actual recording? (Not just the go pro being on)

i got about 25 mins of actual recording, turning on and off for recording runs only.

first time out i just turned it on and let it run, got much longer recording time. reading the manual it says stoping/starting & turning off/on does reduce overall record time.

djdj

If you get the external battery it last a little longer but i left the smaller in to

djdj

I got like a hour to hoir and half at magic mountain this past Sunday

Hawkshot99

What type of memory card do I need for a new Hero4 Silver? I know micro, but there aee so many options on cards. Prices from $20-50 for a 32gb depending on brand.
I am going to pick up a cam and card tonight.

skiNEwhere

What type of memory card do I need for a new Hero4 Silver? I know micro, but there aee so many options on cards. Prices from $20-50 for a 32gb depending on brand.
I am going to pick up a cam and card tonight.

Check the gopro site. I think it needs to write at at least 80 Megs per second to record 1080 and 4k, otherwise it won't playback smoothly

Skikarl

I've found that the gopro batteries are great just not at all prepared for the weather. If they get below 25 degrees they will only give you ten minutes or less. Whereas at room temperature you could film for an hour straight. Personally I put it in an inner pocket of my jacket for the lift to heat it up between runs.

Hawkshot99

I've found that the gopro batteries are great just not at all prepared for the weather. If they get below 25 degrees they will only give you ten minutes or less. Whereas at room temperature you could film for an hour straight. Personally I put it in an inner pocket of my jacket for the lift to heat it up between runs.

I bought some aftermarket ones on Amazon. 2 batteries and a 3 place charger for abiut $25.
The brand is Smatree. They are actually bigger than real GoPro batteries. 1290, vs. 1160mAh.