• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GoPros

Geoff

I didn't know Polaroid still existed as a company. Did someone just buy the name?

Sort of. After a couple of Chapter 11 bankruptcies, the Polaroid brand is owned by a joint venture between Hilco Consumer Capital LP of Toronto and Gordon Brothers Brands LLC of Boston. Polaroid is kind of like my employer. We spec out product that is then built by Chinese and/or Taiwanese ODMs with our brand on them. That's how pretty much all consumer electronics works that's not the huge outfits like Samsung, Panasonic, LG, or Sony.

skiNEwhere

Surprising. I'd think they'd be adding a GPS that can track your stats similar to the Garmin Virb or the alpine replay app.

Maybe the drone will catch on for surfing, but I really can see drone usage getting banned or significantly restricted at a ski area. It's gonna cause problems, whether it's getting stuck in trees, or crashing into guests, or getting stuck on detachable lift grips, I guarantee it.

gmcunni

got my gopro earlier this year and about to mount it on my helmet. top mount or side mount advice?

skiNEwhere

got my gopro earlier this year and about to mount it on my helmet. top mount or side mount advice?

I've never gotten the side mount. You always see the edge of the goggles. I'd go up top or even use a pole mount.

mriceyman

I strongly advise you to get tethers and loop it thru the ear strap. I liked the side mount.. I had 2 elbows so it had a some space off the side and sat above google hight. Ill try to get a pic

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

jimk

Purely anecdotal, but I'm seeing far fewer people with go pros on the slopes this season. Anybody else corroborate?

mriceyman

Depends where u go. I saw a bunch over xmas break

gmcunni

Purely anecdotal, but I'm seeing far fewer people with go pros on the slopes this season. Anybody else corroborate?

i seem to see a lot.. i pay a little more attention now because i have one. i've seen several people with their cameras pointed directly up or down.. guessing they were disappointed at the end of the day.

skiNEwhere

I saw one of these the other day. It rotated on its own based on the momentum of the skier. These mounts are getting crazy!

Gopro-Helmet-360-Swivel-Rotating-Mount-Self-shot-Arm-with-build-in-tripod-mount-serve-Bikes.jpg

mriceyman

Those are cool .. With Good skiers it comes out pretty good

jimk

How much time do you guys spend processing, reviewing and editing your video? I'm dabbling in it because I want to make some short, simple vids when I go west in a few weeks. Best thing to keep it from being overwhelming seems to take a total of about 10 minutes of video and reduce it to about 60 seconds of "highlights"? I'm going to use a 1 year old digital camera for these simple "travelogue" videos because it takes better resolution than my son's 3 year old Contour.contour on paradise.jpg

skiNEwhere

Jimk

If you see the video I made for breck and copper (in the non-northeast trip report section), that's about 16 minutes of raw video. It took me a little less than an hour to make that edit, if that helps.