• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend of December 14th

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
They won't open up if they get a foot plus?

Magic Faithful,
Well, it's Friday the 13th and there's good news and not-as-good news.
We're a glass half-full type of place so let's focus on that. The good news is that Tim, Travis and their snowmaking crew have been hard at work all week trying to get a completed way down from the top. They are down to Wand at this point below lower Trick, but still need to finish Wand and get down Show Off. And we will need this weekend to do it. So the not-so-good news is no opening this weekend. Now back to the good news: it looks like Magic will get anywhere from 6" to 12" from the storm heading our way late Satruday and into Sunday. We don't have much base so this will make a real difference for us and should enable Magic to open more trails more quickly if it delivers on the 12" side rather than just opening with one way down. Because we lack base, and the accumulation totals won't really be known until well into Sunday morning, the decision is to preserve it, hopefully groom some of it as base for easier terrain, and ski it next week once we know if there is enough of the white stuff to open more terrain.

ScottySkis

Regarding the Cats:

tday2.gif

noaad1.gif

noaad2.gif

Looking great for fun turns.

WWF-VT

It's 2 below and sunny here at Mt Ellen today. Local TV weather says likely 10-14" of snow along the northern Green Mountains before it ends tomorrow afternoon. If you plan to have a powder day then travel before 6 PM today. My bet is that Sunday is the winner. Monday is going to be COLD and windy. Tomorrow will be fresh, Monday cold leftovers.

WinnChill

I have to agree, I have found them to be fairly accurate in the past and in forecasting the long term weather trends but this year they have been over-forecasting consistently. Also, what happened to their long term weather trend. I guess they don't do it anymore.

Sorry for the bump guys...I'm just now catching up on posts. I just PM'd Billski too that I'm not providing forecasts for SF this season. Since the thread addressed it--and to avoid any confusion--I'm not behind the Northeast forecasts anymore. I'll still be watching things and trying to post as much as possible, but like Billski said, some other work has me tied up this year.

Ok, now back to your regularly scheduled snowstorm! :)

Cheers y'all.

-WC

BenedictGomez

Agree on the Cats. Pocs will have a mix.

Granted, the Poconos always get screwed. If there's a 5% probability of the Poconos getting screwed, it happens. That said, seems to me they should stay clear of the r/s line through this. I rarely ski there, but fingers-crossed for those that do; it's a great feeder and family environment.

4aprice

Granted, the Poconos always get screwed. If there's a 5% probability of the Poconos getting screwed, it happens. That said, seems to me they should stay clear of the r/s line through this. I rarely ski there, but fingers-crossed for those that do; it's a great feeder and family environment.

The Pocono's right now are in better shape then S. Vermont was last weekend. They are predicting almost 10" and a mix but no rain. Was snowing pretty hard there when I left this afternoon. I'll be up there again tomorrow.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

The Pocono's right now are in better shape then S. Vermont was last weekend. They are predicting almost 10" and a mix but no rain. Was snowing pretty hard there when I left this afternoon. I'll be up there again tomorrow.

Where did you go (Camelback I assume) and how was it?

The gf and I are debating Shawnee, Camelback, or Blue Mountain. Will probably monitor snowfall to decide, that and price, because I dont think I want to pay $65 for Blue Mountain at 40% etc..

wa-loaf

Looking like 6-8 in my neighborhood. Sugarloaf is saying 12" and still dumping ...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

12+ at killington.. No wind and great snow.. I am out of shape lol

Sent from my iPhone

dlague

14" at Gunstock! Skiing is so quiet like butta! It is so smooth and fun! Small powder bumps forming! The snow is not as light as they were predicting, then again we are closer to the coast. At this time we have been experiencing freezing drizzle but great conditions! Panorama on wind hold but it
does not seem windy! Go figure!

BenedictGomez

Skied at Shawnee today, they got 8".

Frankly, I'm shocked to be skiing in the Poconos in mid-December alone, but the conditions at Shawnee were fantastic, about as good as you'll ever get in the Poconos and it isnt even winter yet. Blew my mind.

And oddly, the place was EMPTY. Reminded me of Platty, ski down, ski onto lift.

4aprice

Skied at Shawnee today, they got 8".

Frankly, I'm shocked to be skiing in the Poconos in mid-December alone, but the conditions at Shawnee were fantastic, about as good as you'll ever get in the Poconos and it isnt even winter yet. Blew my mind.

And oddly, the place was EMPTY. Reminded me of Platty, ski down, ski onto lift.

Skied the morning at CBK. Very good Pocono surfaces and bumps sprouting on Lower Cleopatra. A great start for the Pocono's though Camelback was getting busy after 11. (I quit then). They are blowing a ton of snow and I expect over 3/4 of the mountain to be open later this week. Wasn't going to do it but the lure of a weekday morning session might be in order this week. If they don't smash L Cleo.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

BenedictGomez

Camelback was getting busy after 11. (I quit then).

Interesting to hear Camelback was busy given Shawnee was empty. I wonder if the fact Shawnee only advertised 13 trails (which skis like maybe 5 trails) was the reason people stayed away. Also thought about the Eagles game, Christmas shopping, and perhaps many people dont think about skiing UNTIL Christmas/New Year, but at any rate I was really puzzled at the lack of crowd. Glad to hear you had a good morning.

ScottySkis

Interesting to hear Camelback was busy given Shawnee was empty. I wonder if the fact Shawnee only advertised 13 trails (which skis like maybe 5 trails) was the reason people stayed away. Also thought about the Eagles game, Christmas shopping, and perhaps many people dont think about skiing UNTIL Christmas/New Year, but at any rate I was really puzzled at the lack of crowd. Glad to hear you had a good morning.

I'm glad you had the snow in Pennsylvania I was very happy with skiing conditions at Platty you should have came up but if wasn't for the 23$ to ski I probably would have went to Catamont.