• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow Ridge

Huck_It_Baby

Snow Ridge and Holiday Valley are both about to get smacked with Lake Effect!

Some of it might push into ADK!

Cornhead

They've dropped the totals a bunch since you posted, most places are 3-5" less.

I don't know about that.
ACCUMULATIONS, 8 TO 16 INCHES TONIGHT, 10 TO 19 INCHES
WEDNESDAY, AND 5 TO 9 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT, LEADING TO
STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE
SNOWS ACROSS THE TUG HILL.
Hum, I'm supposed to be off Friday, maybe Thursday would be better? I can't take tomorrow off, my boss is off, our department consists of the two of us. I don't think SR is steep enough to move downhill in that much snow.

Tin

I don't know about that.
ACCUMULATIONS, 8 TO 16 INCHES TONIGHT, 10 TO 19 INCHES
WEDNESDAY, AND 5 TO 9 INCHES WEDNESDAY NIGHT, LEADING TO
STORM TOTALS OF MORE THAN 3 FEET IN THE MOST PERSISTENT LAKE
SNOWS ACROSS THE TUG HILL.
Hum, I'm supposed to be off Friday, maybe Thursday would be better? I can't take tomorrow off, my boss is off, our department consists of the two of us. I don't think SR is steep enough to move downhill in that much snow.

I meant the first link regarding the weekend. Most southern NH and VT areas were looking at 16-20", that's now down to 6-12".

Huck_It_Baby

I don't think SR is steep enough to move downhill in that much snow.

Head into the woods skiers left off the northern most trail. Locals have some unmarked glades. That gully has a steep area but you might have to cross an unfrozen creek at the bottom.

Cornhead

Bump, Snow Ridge is claiming 40"...AND IT'S STILL SNOWING! You'll need a rope tow to go DOWN the hill!

Huck_It_Baby

Bump, Snow Ridge is claiming 40"...AND IT'S STILL SNOWING! You'll need a rope tow to go DOWN the hill!

Just saw that! I have a friend driving up to Ski VT with me this weekend and he says he is making a stop at SR on the way.

40 and still snowing!!

Savemeasammy

Just saw that! I have a friend driving up to Ski VT with me this weekend and he says he is making a stop at SR on the way.

40 and still snowing!!

Are you sure he will still come to VT when he gets his boards in 40"? Hmmm.... Second thoughts?! ;).

(I know nothing about this place... Is it steep enough to ski deep snow in?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

I can't imagine what the roads are like in that area. Huck It, what's the closest mtn with decent vert? Or is there not any?

Cornhead

Is it steep enough to ski deep snow in?)
Um, no. Snow Ridge is only 500 ft of vertical. It's got decent pitch for a small hill. I skied it last year after a foot of snow, and that was pushing it, pretty slow, it was awesome though, fresh tracks all day. Like Huck said, there are some steep, short trees to be skied, but according to NOAA, there could be 20" more by their opening on Friday. Five FEET of snow! I think they may have to groom the trails to make them skiable. I doubt the woods would be skiable with 5 ft either. Huck, what's the most snow you've skied there?

Huck_It_Baby

I can't imagine what the roads are like in that area. Huck It, what's the closest mtn with decent vert? Or is there not any?

The Western ADKs are to the east of SR and I think they picked up some of that lake effect. The radar looked like it was blowing pretty far over to the east. Lots of small back country stuff is probably pretty good within that band right now. As far as resorts go I think perhaps McCauley Mountain would be the closest in Old Forge but you are only looking at 600 vertical or so. They haven't updated their site so I have no clue if they got hit.

Um, no. Snow Ridge is only 500 ft of vertical. It's got decent pitch for a small hill. I skied it last year after a foot of snow, and that was pushing it, pretty slow, it was awesome though, fresh tracks all day. Like Huck said, there are some steep, short trees to be skied, but according to NOAA, there could be 20" more by their opening on Friday. Five FEET of snow! I think they may have to groom the trails to make them skiable. I doubt the woods would be skiable with 5 ft either. Huck, what's the most snow you've skied there?

I think to say 500 vert is pushing it, haha. I've skied a solid 2+ foot dump there before but nothing like this storm. It was skiable out in those glades I mentioned at the time. Top 1/2 was a little slow but it gets steeper down lower.