White Water Rafting

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

White Water Rafting

Where are the great rafting areas in the North East?

The best rafting in the North East is on the Kennebec, Dead, and Penobscot Rivers in Maine. The Penobscot being the most intense.

Sullivan County up on the Walnuts mtn 2000 high elevation
    At beginning if Hudson River on Gore access road wild water I think is the name.

Items for Sale
    I know a few...
    Those 3 rivers in Maine are terrific for rafting and I have been around Hudson's headwaters...very nice...as is the Deerfield River in MA. All of the good rafting sections of Maine's 3 rivers are up in the undeveloped woodlands(just some cutting in some areas)...so odds are you can see a good amount of wildlife as well.
    Last edited by bigbog; Feb 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM.
    SteveD

The Black River, running through Watertown, NY is good stuff.

Any of you guys run white water in a canoe?

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Any of you guys run white water in a canoe?
    Yeah, but haven't done any ww in the last ~5yrs. Letting myself get old too quickly = more house/yahdwork and deep backcountry wildlife-sightseeing than anything....but I sold my last OC-1...was a little too quick for me so I sold it(kicking myself now..as often turns out = company/boat now gone..royalex becoming harder & harder to find)...and haven't gotten back into it...yet..., but love it.. Like most everything worthwhile..the more ww you paddle & better/more-relaxed you get..the more you want to do it... You've got a lot of terrific "creek style" streams/rivers in VT Huck... The whole darn state is either mountain or valley...
    Last edited by bigbog; Jan 8, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
    SteveD

Items for Sale
    Agree with the Kennebec, Dead, and Penobscot. Kennebec and Penobscot are dam controlled and you can raft them most of the year. The Dead River, IIRC, is only during high water. I've done the Kennebec three times and it is really fun. Went twice with Unicorn and once with another company.

A long time ago I also did a trip with PRO Rafters on the upper part of the Hudson. It was a low spring, but still fun.

Last, my (then new) wife and I did a section of a river in Northern Quebec not far from Quebec City on our honeymoon and it was really fun. It was on the Jacques Cartier River and this was the outfitter: http://www.expeditionsnouvellevague.com/en/

Inexpensive, nice gear, great guides, and they were one of a couple outfitters in the area so it was very intimate. One of the owners is a whitewater champ and she was there signing autographs, etc. Nice folks and beautiful country only 35 minutes from Quebec City.
    Other than that, as said, sections of the Deerfield River are run in the spring by a couple outfitters (Crabapple being one). But it is pretty limited.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Yeah, but haven't done any ww in the last ~5yrs. Letting myself get old too quickly....but I sold my last OC-1...was a little too quick for me so I sold it...and haven't gotten back into it...yet..., but love it.. Like most everything worthwhile..the more ww you paddle & better/more-relaxed you get..the more you want to do it... You've got a lot of terrific "creek style" streams/rivers in VT Huck... The whole darn state is either mountain or valley...
    I bought a 17-18 foot Mohawk this past summer built from Royalex and am not sure if it's suited for white water or not. Bought it for canoe camping not WW. It's a pretty tough, can hold a lot of weight and I'm told royalex is rather indestructible so I am assuming hitting rocks here or there wouldn't be a huge issue?

I have no experience with WW...so I'm just probing here.

I did a branch of the American River in Ca. IIRC a college roommate and I did it in an inflatable kayak. Dummies! Great time, though.

I'd love to try some whitewater kayaking. In a hard kayak!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information