• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Weekend of Dec 14th - observations

Kleetus

Was at Sunapee today and they got a solid foot of snow. Unfortunately they had multiple issues with their lifts (Claimed it was due to wind holds but there wasn't any wind while I was there) that resulted in the 3 trails from the North Ridge triple getting pretty tracked up/skied off within 1/2 hour of opening. Flying Goose was good but got way over pressured because there were basically only 3 ways down until the Sunapee Express opened around 11. Even once that opened they still did not have the Sunbowl open, which resulted in everyone rushing to ski the Summit which caused everything to get over pressured again and was completely mounded within around a half hour. The Sunbowl finally opened around 1 and everybody flooded it. Literally got 2 runs in before it was pretty mounded up.

The snow was good just due to the lift situation everything got way over pressured fast. Had all the lifts been open to start the day there probably would have been less mounding. They must have groomed pretty late last night as most of the trails only had an inch of fresh on top of the groomed snow. They definitely got at least a foot of snow but groomed everything near the end of the storm.

I was contemplating going to Ragged or Crotched but have a flex card to Sunapee I won from the Boston Ski Show and this was the last day of early season pricing (so you get 50% off) so I settled on there. After going I should have followed my instincts and gone to Crotched or Ragged given it sounds like they dropped ropes on quite a bit of stuff.

fahz

Albany area 6" still snowing gonna be a rough drive tomorrow. Be safe everyone!

Had 13 inches on the ground in Albany this morning. Couldn't head out until I cleared the driveway then had to wait for the plows to clear my road. Long drive but made it to Windham around a foot. Funny what a foot of snow will do people were skiing on everything! Skiing Santas @ Windham below

DSC08563.jpg

bigbog

Got around 8"+/-...all dry here in Bangor without any wind this morning(Mon), lots of wind yesterday. Mtns must have gotten 10"+. Would've been more if it hadn't of veered off towards NovaScotia as much. Looks like possibly more in a couple days.

Last edited:

Tin

The whole ordeal lasted maybe a half an hour. They lost power to the lift somehow and it took them some time to get the auxiliary power supply up. Lift was stopped for about 20 minutes before ski patrol skied down and let people on the chairs know what was going on. That to me is key; communication. It makes being stuck up there more tolerable. Once they got some power they ran it at a creep, slower than loading speed and it took another 10 minutes or so to make it to the top. I decided to peace out after that and get home to watch the Pats lose. :rolleyes:

Got a text from Tin around 3:20 saying the Rocket was back in operation.

Rocket meme.jpg

jimk

Nothing but rain in Wash DC, but 6" of snow 75 miles away in southern PA on the 14th. We're off to maybe the best early season of the 21st century here in the mid-Atlantic.:beer: Good soft bumps at Liberty Mtn, PA on 12/15/13 with almost all slopes open:
52af0a8c2f841.jpg

WWF-VT

Sugarbush had about 10" of new snow on Sunday and there was a big crowd for a powder day. Ropes dropped on almost every trail and it was great to ski Murphy's Glade and Birdland on all natural snow.