• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

Angus

Been discussed here, how the combination of Attitash/Wildcat is an analog to SR/Sugarloaf - start off early for passholders at one area and go late at the other. Boyne is executing well, looks like Peaks is stumbling. Flip side is the folks at Mt. Snow seem to be happy and crotched too, so go figure.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Been discussed here, how the combination of Attitash/Wildcat is an analog to SR/Sugarloaf - start off early for passholders at one area and go late at the other. Boyne is executing well, looks like Peaks is stumbling. Flip side is the folks at Mt. Snow seem to be happy and crotched too, so go figure.

I never really considered Attitash as an "early" area; usually Thanksgiving if then. Wildcat went late if they had the snow. I think the analog is accurate in terms of terrain choices and reputation of difficulty.

yeggous

I never really considered Attitash as an "early" area; usually Thanksgiving if then. Wildcat went late if they had the snow. I think the analog is accurate in terms of terrain choices and reputation of difficulty.

Wildcat has recently been opening with very limited terrain for Thanksgiving and Attitash has been getting into the action the second or third week of December. Attitash does not even start making snow until December. Attitash also pulls the plug at the end of March, while Wildcat will stay open as long as the snow holds out.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

Well looks like Wildcat has expanded to some of its advanced terrain up top. Who knows though.....When they say Lift Lion and Top Cat are open, it could be anywhere from 100 yards worth of vert or 2,000!

yeggous

Well looks like Wildcat has expanded to some of its advanced terrain up top. Who knows though.....When they say Lift Lion and Top Cat are open, it could be anywhere from 100 yards worth of vert or 2,000!

They meant there is a 300 feet of vertical in a skiable line with rocks sticking out. That'll disappear this weekend. Wildcat has a very aggressive opening policy; they'll call it open if there *might* be a skiable line using rock skis.

yeggous

Anyone going to be around on Saturday?

Not unless Sunday's forecast improves, which is highly unlikely. Don't want to be up there on Monday for the great refreeze. Thinking about hitting up Crotched for Saturday through Tuesday and then heading up to North Conway for Christmas through New Years.

MadMadWorld

Not unless Sunday's forecast improves, which is highly unlikely. Don't want to be up there on Monday for the great refreeze. Thinking about hitting up Crotched for Saturday through Tuesday and then heading up to North Conway for Christmas through New Years.

Looks as though Saturday might be a pretty good day. Looks as though they may get snow before it changes to the other stuff on Sunday.

yeggous

I'm taking bets on whether this warmup thawed out that frozen pipe. 3-4 days of above-freezing temperatures just might do the trick. My money is that we may actually see upper mountain snow making next week.

MadMadWorld

Wildcat was in sad shape yesterday. Until they get a major storm or the snowmaking situation under control they are in deep trouble. Catapult was in good shape. As was Middle/Lower Lynx. Wildcat Pitch was the only skiable ungroomed trail on the mtn (it skied amazing). Skied Attitash in the afternoon....I am normally not a big fan but they have done a phenomenal job last week with snow making. Great coverage and they should be okay for xmas vacation

yeggous

Just checked their snow report. It looks like they will have 10 trails (really 1.5 routes) and 58 acres open tomorrow. Wildcat will be a disaster on Tuesday once the little terrain that they have refreezes. Compare their offerings to Cannon's 25 trails and 64 acres. Everyone who is complaining about Cannon really needs to keep this in mind. It could be worse: come on over and see for yourself!

Attitash sits on their ass until mid-December, but they do a good job once they finally decide to get in the game. They have the capacity and willingness to cover the entire mountain and expand terrain quickly. They actively show that they only care about the money-making holiday weeks. They will pull out all the stops to be competitive for the next two weeks.

MadMadWorld

Just checked their snow report. It looks like they will have 10 trails (really 1.5 routes) and 58 acres open tomorrow. Wildcat will be a disaster on Tuesday once the little terrain that they have refreezes. Compare their offerings to Cannon's 25 trails and 64 acres. Everyone who is complaining about Cannon really needs to keep this in mind. It could be worse: come on over and see for yourself!

Attitash sits on their ass until mid-December, but they do a good job once they finally decide to get in the game. They have the capacity and willingness to cover the entire mountain and expand terrain quickly. They actively show that they only care about the money-making holiday weeks. They will pull out all the stops to be competitive for the next two weeks.

3 of the trails are on the beginner slope and 2 are connector trails. Basically 2 choices Catapult and Lynx. That's if the can maintain the connector from Catapult to Lynx. There wasn't much snow left on it on Saturday and that's before the rain hit.

yeggous

3 of the trails are on the beginner slope and 2 are connector trails. Basically 2 choices Catapult and Lynx. That's if the can maintain the connector from Catapult to Lynx. There wasn't much snow left on it on Saturday and that's before the rain hit.

The snow report states that they're planning to run both the Tomcat and Summit lift. That may be because they think the connector will be gone.

How does Upper Catapult look off the summit? Were they able to blow enough snow on it?

MadMadWorld

The snow report states that they're planning to run both the Tomcat and Summit lift. That may be because they think the connector will be gone.

How does Upper Catapult look off the summit? Were they able to blow enough snow on it?

That makes sense then. Lynx and Catapult both had great coverage and should be fine after the storm. Cheetah was okay too. Nothing for experts though unless they open up Wildcat Pitch once the snow softens. Lots of fun whales and bumps.

SIKSKIER

Compare their offerings to Cannon's 25 trails and 64 acres. Everyone who is complaining about Cannon really needs to keep this in mind. It could be worse: come on over and see for yourself!
I keep the following in mind:Wildcat has been crippled with frozen water lines from a snowmaking system that was already historicaly inadequate.
Cannon has been cheering their 180 new snoguns and how great they perform.
Yet they both have about the same acreage open and Wildcat is skiing from the SUMMIT.

It should be a slam dunk but its not.