• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

Angus

Without the ability to make snow on upper linx- wonder if the 100k challenge is in jeapardy- that is on upper linx in March- and needs a SOLID base?

email went out today from Wildcat to former participants, March 10.

Madroch

Did it last year- fun- but can't imagine running it without a man made base- even in a good snow year like last year- there were bare spots due to heavy traffic on one line.....I'll sign on again...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Did it last year- fun- but can't imagine running it without a man made base- even in a good snow year like last year- there were bare spots due to heavy traffic on one line.....I'll sign on again...

What does it work out too? 6 runs and hour? I can't imagine cranking out 100K vert in a day. Impressive.

snoseek

What does it work out too? 6 runs and hour? I can't imagine cranking out 100K vert in a day. Impressive.
No shit right? If I look on my epicmix and it says 30k I consider that a really long full day of skiing. 100k would require some serious strength and endurance!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think I've ever skied more than 20 runs in a day off the HSQ at Wildcat. My average full day there is probably more like 15 rides on the Quad. 48 trips up that lift in a day is nuts.

Madroch

48 runs- 11 min per run- start at 7:30 and go till dark if needed. They crank up the quad and it hums.

Madroch

And yes embrace the burn... Kinda scary at times for us flat landers - holding on for dear life toward the end of each run- as the best training for skiing is skiing- and tough to lodge any serious vertical on a regular basis down here.

Madroch

Just registered for this year- fun day- kind of a comraderie builds... Met a lot of good folks on the 48 rides up.

MadMadWorld

I don't think I've ever skied more than 20 runs in a day off the HSQ at Wildcat. My average full day there is probably more like 15 rides on the Quad. 48 trips up that lift in a day is nuts.

Yea you don't realize how much vert you have done because you can ski it so quickly. Even at 10 runs I am feeling it. I can manage 25 or so if I'm sticking to mostly groomers, not skiing a ton of moguls or poling around much. The last 2 are very hard to avoid at Wildcat!

sedftroyl

I can say first hand killington not making anything but mud pies guess the rise in season ticket sales
4 this year theymade their $ and blowing snow due to erratic temps.would put them in the negative they don't care a/b nothing but the bucks. I don't believe I am being ignorant

Sent from my VS870 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

Que? They went wild blowing to start this year, had the upper part of Superstar going by Turkey Day, and will always make a run into May. K was blowing in late January into February on OL and Superstar last year.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

I can say first hand killington not making anything but mud pies guess the rise in season ticket sales
4 this year theymade their $ and blowing snow due to erratic temps.would put them in the negative they don't care a/b nothing but the bucks. I don't believe I am being ignorant

That's what everyone said 2 years ago but some mountains like Killington and SR blew a ton of snow in mid March even after many mountains had already closed for the season.

snoseek

Scotty?

yeggous

That's what everyone said 2 years ago but some mountains like Killington and SR blew a ton of snow in mid March even after many mountains had already closed for the season.

That was a unique situation. Wildcat blew snow in March that year too! Lots of British kids come over in late March or early April for some reason. They all blew snow to capture the business that many other mountains lost that year due to the warm weather. Wildcat was the only area open in all of NH. Killington picked up business from the rest of S VT.