• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat behind the pack this year

drjeff

Does anyone have numbers to backup the summer being profitable at Attitash. Was there on a peak weekend last summer to try the alpine coaster, and it was busy with lines at the attractions, but in my estimation, less than 1/10 the amt of people for a normal weekend ski day.

No snowmaking or grooming, only a lift or 2 running instead of every lift running, far less employees for daily summer vs. daily winter operations, etc. The overall daily overhead in the summer is far less than in the winter so "profitable" summer crowd volume is often equivalent to what would be a SMALL winter's day volume would be

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
....but they're not buying lift tickets, lessons, renting gear, and F&B volume is way down.

Maybe with funny accounting they turn a profit in the summer but I doubt its much. When I worked at Snowshoe it was jammed on the mountain during the summers. HUGE events drawing 5 to 15k people every weekend. They also had a golf course, something Attitash does not. The place barely made a profit during July and August. Summer operations were largely viewed as a necessity to keep key people employed; not a boost to the bottom line.

skiberg

I wouldn't doubt them making some cash in summer. The place is crowded with people using the facilities pretty much most of July and August. Long lines are fairly common. I so even tAke my kids unless it first thing in the am or late in the day.

yeggous

There snow report claims that they are blowing on Tomcat Schuss right now. This could be a positive development as I don't remember the last time I saw snowmaking there.

They've made a lot of progress expanding terrain across the lower mountain over the last couple of weeks. Maybe they really have decided to blow the whole lower mountain in attempt to compensate for the inability to make snow on the upper mountain.

Dubld

My old home, Wildcat. I just Thompson Brook will be skiable in March

gregnye

There snow report claims that they are blowing on Tomcat Schuss right now. This could be a positive development as I don't remember the last time I saw snowmaking there.

I was last there 2 years ago (and every year before then) and I always remember them making snow on Tomcat Schuss. Its good to see them try to offer more expert terrain, as Attitash still is a better ski right now for the expert skier--and that's saying something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeggous

I was last there 2 years ago (and every year before then) and I always remember them making snow on Tomcat Schuss. Its good to see them try to offer more expert terrain, as Attitash still is a better ski right now for the expert skier--and that's saying something...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think that was pre Peak Resorts.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Madroch

As suspected - moved the 100k off upper linx to upper catapult- than cross over to mid/lower linx. That will probably result in closing a few more trails for the event- may not sit well with all. Looks warmer though- looking forward to it.

yeggous

They are raising season pass prices too. No word on how much. Will be announced tomorrow morning but they swear it won't be enough that I will care.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

To their credit Wildcat is blowing snow on Polecat today. They're trying to fill in places to make it into April.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Brad J

I wish I was more reasonable but I am not, Peak resort has done a terrible job this year at both Wildcat and Attitash, Their commitment to make snow was marginal at best and telling us about frozen pipes and blown pumps, electric costs long after they were happening, I for one will stand on principle and not buy a season pass, even though I am sure will cost me more in the long run. They do not deserve our trust, they need to decide if the really want to run a ski area, or cater to the summer family crowd. Not that a bad thing just not what I am looking for. The plans of a Zip line at Attitash has sent me over the edge, rumored to fund the instillation of a new lift to the Summit in 10 years, I will be 70 freaking years old then, are you kidding me. I am a long time Attitash skier skied there in the sixties and seventies ,went to killington in the eighties until they lost their soul. Skied Mad River for a while , then sunday river. I have made a bunch of friends at both Attitash and Wildcat in the last 9 years and will miss them far more than the areas, I just need a year to find a new home!!! may be Cannon its just down the road from my daughters

dlague

Wildcat is claiming 100% open! Going there next weekend for RSNE on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
The plans of a Zip line at Attitash has sent me over the edge, rumored to fund the instillation of a new lift to the Summit in 10 years,

I'm not doubting this as a possibility, but that does seem to be a bit of a far fetched rumor no? Surely Peaks could get a loan for a new Summit lift at Attitash tomorrow if they wanted to based on prior investments elsewhere. I thought the big issue with not wanting to put a lift in was lack of trail capacity off the summit. There is something to be said for the lack of trails off the summit and how quickly they'd get skied off.

I think it's more the realization that they wouldn't enjoy an appreciably increase in business with that lift, which is probably true. Unfortunate because a HSQ to the summit of Attitash proper would be fantastic.

yeggous

I think it's more the realization that they wouldn't enjoy an appreciably increase in business with that lift, which is probably true. Unfortunate because a HSQ to the summit of Attitash proper would be fantastic.

This

D-2.5-GT

Skied there earlier this week...

The views were as usual, fantastic. I managed to get a clear morning and everywhere you turn Mt. Washington towers over.

I was kind of disappointed / surprised at the conditions. There was lots of bare spots all over, including rocks and such.. I haven't been there in years, but dont recall this. They intentionally leave about half the mountain ungroomed, which is normally nice but anything not touched was frozen solid.

Im surprised to hear they are making snow, but they need it in some spots. Even on a tuesday with no volume, there was a lot of spots that got skied off to sheets of ice.

Edd

That's funny. I was there last Tuesday and felt what was open and groomed was in pretty damn good shape.

Upper Lynx, while open, is a train wreak due to no snowmaking. I was under the impression that snow couldn't be made on upper Polecat but it was fine.

Ungroomed stuff like Catanary and Cougar were pretty firm, but skiable.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

They can make snow on a very limited basis on Upper Polecat when temperatures are just right. That is where they were blowing yesterday.

Word at my club is Thursday was awesome, Friday sucked.

Brad J

I'm not doubting this as a possibility, but that does seem to be a bit of a far fetched rumor no? Surely Peaks could get a loan for a new Summit lift at Attitash tomorrow if they wanted to based on prior investments elsewhere. I thought the big issue with not wanting to put a lift in was lack of trail capacity off the summit. There is something to be said for the lack of trails off the summit and how quickly they'd get skied off.

THey could put a HSQ in with fewer chairs to keep uphill capacity the same and get the ride down to a reasonable time

4aprice

THey could put a HSQ in with fewer chairs to keep uphill capacity the same and get the ride down to a reasonable time

So I take it, it is not a wind issue with the Summit Lifts on Attitash. Skied it for the 1st time this past weekend. If not wind then they definitely need a high speed to the summit as that triple is one long ass chair. Interesting place, thought conditions were pretty good especially in the morning and the runs on Attitash proper reminded me a little of Solitude in Utah. Saturday it warmed up just high and long enough to make the woods fun over on Bear Peak, off of Trillium, and Wandering. Sunday temp drop didn't help and it all got skied off by the end of the day. Liked the place but didn't fall in love with it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ