• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is something looming for sunday??

jack97

Love it but they cant when the snowmaking pond is mud. Actually hoping for rain or they wont recover until a few good storms.

I was there thurs, bumps were great under the lift and UFO as well. I'm most likely going back monday just to keep my ski legs. Last year, they did seed a mogul field right under the valley lift, hope they do the same if a storm doesn't come in.

Warp Daddy

Your area is a major topic on The Weather Channel, good luck Warp, hope all goes well for you and yours, ice sucks. Merry Christmas, if that's possible.

Thanks guys , one and all , here we are in hr 56 of this . About inch and half of ice , had to hand shovel sun room roof and a back porch roof , broke a shear pin in my big Ariens , nobody had the part . So had to drive 49 mile round trip in a blizzard to get the right pins :(.. Bought several. Good news is we still have power , warning continues thru 11 pm . All roads closed , travel banned . But hey we are warm , my drives and walks are now plowed and the streets in town are great considering the gawd awful weather ..

Hopefully we are grinning tomorrow AND the whole clan arrives too..

Merry .Christmas to all you guys and thanks again for thekind words

Quietman

How about this for a lift report from Sunday River for today. Don't know if its ice or.....

Lift #
Lift Name
Current Status
11 Little White Cap Quad Closed
10 White Heat Quad Closed
9 White Cap Quad Open
4 Locke Mountain Triple On Hold
1 Barker Mountain Express Closed
8 Spruce Peak Triple Closed
7 Chondola Closed
2 South Ridge Express On Hold
16 Sundance Surface Lift Open
6 North Peak Express Closed
3 Quantum Leap Triple Closed
12 Aurora Peak Quad Closed
15 OZ Quad Closed
14 Jordan Bowl Express Closed
13 Jordan Mountain Double Closed

fbrissette

How about this for a lift report from Sunday River for today. Don't know if its ice or.....

Lift #
Lift Name
Current Status
11 Little White Cap Quad Closed
10 White Heat Quad Closed
9 White Cap Quad Open
4 Locke Mountain Triple On Hold
1 Barker Mountain Express Closed
8 Spruce Peak Triple Closed
7 Chondola Closed
2 South Ridge Express On Hold
16 Sundance Surface Lift Open
6 North Peak Express Closed
3 Quantum Leap Triple Closed
12 Aurora Peak Quad Closed
15 OZ Quad Closed
14 Jordan Bowl Express Closed
13 Jordan Mountain Double Closed

Ice very likely. Jay peak ran the Village chair (the one close to my condo) most of the night to avoid freeze-up. i assume they did the same for the other lifts.

EDIT: it appears as if Jay peak is closed for the day

Last edited:

fbrissette

Thanks guys , one and all , here we are in hr 56 of this . About inch and half of ice , had to hand shovel sun room roof and a back porch roof , broke a shear pin in my big Ariens , nobody had the part . So had to drive 49 mile round trip in a blizzard to get the right pins :(.. Bought several. Good news is we still have power , warning continues thru 11 pm . All roads closed , travel banned . But hey we are warm , my drives and walks are now plowed and the streets in town are great considering the gawd awful weather ..

This brings back memories of the 1998 ice storm... Be safe and have a merry christmas.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Massena New reports this morning:

STATE OF EMERGENCY.......NO TRAVEL ON ANY ROADS IN ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY UNLESS YOUR EMPLOYER IS ALCOA, NYPA, SEAWAY, HOSPITAL OR AREA NURSING HOMES.....IF YOU ARE ON THE ROADS, YOU WILL BE STOPPED AND TICKETED........THE MALL IS CLOSED, SO DON'T ATTEMPT TO GO SHOPPING!!!!

Tin

Happy to hear you still have power, are warm, and things are looking OK up there road wise.

BenedictGomez

Massena New reports this morning:

STATE OF EMERGENCY.......NO TRAVEL ON ANY ROADS IN ST. LAWRENCE COUNTY UNLESS YOUR EMPLOYER IS ALCOA, NYPA, SEAWAY, HOSPITAL OR AREA NURSING HOMES.....IF YOU ARE ON THE ROADS, YOU WILL BE STOPPED AND TICKETED........THE MALL IS CLOSED, SO DON'T ATTEMPT TO GO SHOPPING!!!!

That's too extreme. Common sense should rule the day rather than making the area a police state. Hell, I drove all over town during the 1998 ice storm with 4wd + snow tires, and had no problems. If I got stuck, I was SOOL, which is as life should be.

yeggous

In 72 hours at Crotched it went from 18" stashes in the trees to dirt patches and thin cover on main trails. Hope they get rain so they will be able to blow.

It is depressing to see how much snow they lost. I'd say about 2 feet is gone. Dirt is working through on Pluto's. They've got the portable fan guns lined up on the unopened terrain just waiting for the temperatures and water.

As of last night the pond was still pretty empty but was starting to refill with melt water. Anybody get a look today? It was amazing to see the strikingly brownish-yellow artificial snow from the bottom water.

Crotched has impressive capacity if they have the water. That is one big bonus of fan guns which aren't restricted by compressor capacity. It's amazing to me that Peak Resorts runs Crotched and Wildcat / Attitash so differently. They've invested lots of money in Crotched and have a great mountain to show for it.

Quietman

Crotched has impressive capacity if they have the water. That is one big bonus of fan guns which aren't restricted by compressor capacity. It's amazing to me that Peak Resorts runs Crotched and Wildcat / Attitash so differently. They've invested lots of money in Crotched and have a great mountain to show for it.

A big difference is that Crotched was basically rebuilt from scratch in 2003. Nothing from the old mountain was used except for the West double which got a rebuilt drive by Dopp./CTEC. Since they had to install a new system, going with fan guns made sense on a smaller mountain. Redoing Wildcat's and/or Attitash's systems would be a much bigger project, but after this year's issues, it would appear that some investment is needed. Peaks has invested in fan guns(and the 6 pack) for Mt. Snow, but the local competition is much greater, and it is much closer to the NY/CT metro area to bring in the crowds. Skier visit are 4x greater than Attitash or Wildcat.

The dirt showing on Crotched's webcam under the bottom of the Rocket is an area that only had a thin manmade cover as they have it roped off for the chair's loading area.