• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs 12.18.2013

Huck_It_Baby

I skied Smuggs for about 3-4 hours today mostly on Madonna. No lift lines and snowing the whole time.

There was a couple inches of new snow over night and things were skiing very nicely. I skied Doc Dempsey's glades quite a few times and hung out in the trees in the general area. Doc's was natural snow cover with a great mix of rocks, ice and powder. Branching off to alternate routes adjacent to the main run yielded powder turns. After Doc's I would stray into some lower angle trees and was getting untracked almost all the way down. Not without hitting some roots, rocks and grundel floss of course but I don't mind the abuse.

My last run was out to the BB's to check the snow and asses how things had been filling in. The top 1/2 was amazing. WAY better than I expected with untouched lines! Down lower there was plenty of snow to ski on but you had to be careful. The natural base on the lower 1/2 of the mountain wasn't as good as most people will prefer. The notch road was nice and snowy all the way back to my car. Not a bad 1/2 day.

Smuggs3.jpg
Smuggs2.jpg
Smuggs4.jpg
Smuggs5.jpg
Smuggs6.jpg

Savemeasammy

I'm glad to see it piling up at Smuggs'. Hopefully Mother Nature isn't too unkind this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solitude67

Can't wait. Thanks for the solid report I skiied at Michael Bolton today tomorrow at Smuggs. Got cold around 12 and frigid by 230..

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AlpineZone mobile app

Huck_It_Baby

Can't wait. Thanks for the solid report I skiied at Michael Bolton today tomorrow at Smuggs. Got cold around 12 and frigid by 230..

Might head to the mountain in a little while if you're there.

Blue coat, grey pants, white skis with green trees on em'.

Solitude67

Late start red skis brown pants gray descent in arkr black stickered helmet on Madonna lift now see u today.

Solitude67

Way better snow cover on Madonna mountain then on Sterling which has more terrain open with the way my boots are feeling I'm going to stick to Sterling

Solitude67

Virtually empty. Overpriced food in lodge. No free WiFi and no water fountain in lodge Wyndham resorts is going to destroy this place the way Omni did to Brett on Woods.

MadMadWorld

Virtually empty. Overpriced food in lodge. No free WiFi and no water fountain in lodge Wyndham resorts is going to destroy this place the way Omni did to Brett on Woods.

Destroyed by whom? They have been run the same way for as long as I can remember. Food is overpriced like every other mountain. No fountains is annoying but sit downstairs at the restaurant and get bottomless glasses of water. Wifi? Well that's just not really their thing.

Solitude67

Meant no disrespect. Really like the terrain reminds me of Burke. Nice layout. Great time on RumRunner today. Thanks

MadMadWorld

Meant no disrespect. Really like the terrain reminds me of Burke. Nice layout. Great time on RumRunner today. Thanks

No offense taken. Glad you had a good time. Next time your headed up let me know I have a bunch of BOGO coupons.

Solitude67

Sweet got my fix on liftopia for $39 skiing bush tomorrow loved Smugglers Alley to lower RumRunner trail of the day. Heading back to lot one too cold. Last run...

Solitude67

Smuggs Panorama.jpgSmuggs 1.jpgSmuggs 2.jpgSmuggs 5.jpgSmuggs 3.jpg

Too tired to post a full trip report. Simply put if you go to Smuggs you will be very happy with yourself for doing so. It was a great day weather wise started to get the deep freeze on around 2:30PM but worth skiing until 4.... Conditions were similar to Bolton Valley of yesterday but there was more snow cover on Smuggs especially on Sterling. Madonna Mountain had Upper Chilcoot, Catwalk and Doc Dempsey's Glades open and all were in good shape especially Chilcoot no bare spots and a fantastic run to yourself which is extraordinary to be able to fly down Chilcoot. All fed into Link which also was in really nice shape. Took Link directly to the Sterling lift often. Sterling had Smugglers Alley and RumRunner Open and both skiied well. Great Tips from this Thread so thank you Huck it and Mad. Off to Sugarbush tomorrow. Nite....