• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski boots that lock in the heel !

haines

I purchased a new pair of Atomic MX- 90 and I am used to the heel lifting a bit as I leen forward, These new puts don't allow for that. It's like my ankles don't have to anything to do anymore. All the torque is on the knee and I don't like that.

Should I dump em and go with my pair of 10 year old Dolomites whose flex properties I adore?

JimG.

Staff member
I purchased a new pair of Atomic MX- 90 and I am used to the heel lifting a bit as I leen forward, These new puts don't allow for that. It's like my ankles don't have to anything to do anymore. All the torque is on the knee and I don't like that.

Should I dump em and go with my pair of 10 year old Dolomites whose flex properties I adore?

Only if you're looking for boots that don't fit properly.

Seriously, heel lift is a big no-no...a sign the boots are too big or packed out.

It sounds to me like you may have relatively short heel chords, also known as Achilles tendons. This is a common bootfitting problem and it is usually solved with a pair of heel lifts.

Get thee and thy new boots to a bootfitter!

SkiDog

Seriously, heel lift is a big no-no...a sign the boots are too big or packed out.

It sounds to me like you may have relatively short heel chords, also known as Achilles tendons. This is a common bootfitting problem and it is usually solved with a pair of heel lifts.

I agree with Jim on this one......boot fitter for sure...and I ALWAYS knew it was time to replace the old boots when I got too much heel slop.......the heel should remain in place at all times.

M

haines

New boots are ramped up for shaped skiing!

I have muscled (fat) calfs that seem to lock in my foot with these new boots I ski the bumps and would like to get away with a few mistake, lean back recoveries I lean back on these new boots and it's a bit much. I really never minded leaning back at all. Actually, I'm adamant about this and this discussion is helping me get a clear picture

I need to adjust the forwrd lean

Goblin84

moving heel bad. you get all your power from leaning forward and skiing on the balls of your feet

Grassi21

I had the same problem with my right boot. My guy just hooked me up with a lift.

haines

What I meant was boots lock you into a forward lean

This forward lean kills us guys who like to lean back. I ski the bumps and the locked in forward lean takes away that tail drag kick that I'm famous for. Walking in these boots is a horror!

Now I'm going directly back to that store but can the corect the problem?

so I guess I have to switch to skiis with soft tails?

koreshot

Yeah, I hate boots that work when you are balanced and forward. Whats next? Skis that only ski well if you put some pressure on the tips? psh... :razz:

No but seriously, I know what you mean haines, when I got my first pair of properly fitting boots and put the custom footbeds in, it took a little bit of effort and concentration to adjust. But soon enough I was in love. Most likely, and I am no boot expert, it is just an adjustment you will need to make in your skiing and soon enough you will be happy that your heel is not moving around.

The other thing you mentioned, being really foward, maybe you need to have the boot adjusted there a little bit. Again, not a boot expert, but is there some sort of forward/rearward adjustment on the boot cuff?

Goblin84

\

The other thing you mentioned, being really foward, maybe you need to have the boot adjusted there a little bit. Again, not a boot expert, but is there some sort of forward/rearward adjustment on the boot cuff?

those are all things a properly fitted boot and bindings can fix. you can determine how much forward lean you have. i love to have a lot of lean so my boots push me way forward. i even have lifters in the back to push it a bit more. head to a bootfitter, talk it over and see what he/she can do

bigbog

....lower shell-fit/cuff-fit

haines,
Well, don't think you're the one & only to ever get fooled by some aspect of a boot's fit while in a warm & fuzzy ski shop.
As mentioned....get thee & thy boots to a bootfitter..

$.01...

Last edited:

SKIQUATTRO

skiing now is more side to side rather than exuding a ton of forward pressure to get the ski to turn...yes, you still want pressure on the front of the boot, but now to get the ski to turn its a roll of the heel.......