#$%$%^$ "Q" Bukre....what do I do? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    And this is the THIRD Burke Mountain thread that has negative PR implications for them. It's too bad because folks love the mountain and what it was.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Jay bought them to close it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Jay bought them to close it down.

Let's get this point clear, technically JAY PEAK DOES NOT OWN BURKE! The Quiros family owns Q Burke. They also happen to be part of the primary ownership group of Jay Peak.

That conspiracy theory has been raised before but would seem like the Quiros’ have gone through a lot of trouble and expense to eliminate a “competitor”. Calling Burke a competitor to Jay in the current state of things is like calling Magic a direct competitor of Stratton. Why would they want Burke to fail? There are far easier ways to accomplish that.

IMHO many of the home owners and skiers at Burke wouldn’t automatically migrate to Jay if Burke closed. And I guarantee that is the case if it is apparent that “Jay bought them to close it down”. Many of the condo owners would likely look south either in NH or south/central VT. The local population of skiers/riders isn’t really substantial enough to boost Jay’s bottom line much, if at all.

On this logic, any resort they would acquire would be well served to become QKillington, QVail, QSugarloaf. They should buy the Red Sox and Q it (please don't). Doing it to Burke is no different, just a smaller balance sheet. Same level of branding/marketing WTF.

Sadly the move makes any other they do (Kingdom Trails for example) immediately very questionable because they've broadcast this initial ego Q oddity far and wide. Don't expect any underling mtn reps to come in here and explain it away. Best to let the goo stick to the goo'er if the goo'er is not taking your advice.

They still could turn this all around. Drop the Q, release a mea culpa, move on. You can do it Ary.

The popcorn was in place of a sarcasm font that has not been developed yet.

It's incredible nobody was able (if they tried) to tap him on the shoulder and convince him that the name Q Burke is awful. "Mt Shit" sounds about as good.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    It's incredible nobody was able (if they tried) to tap him on the shoulder and convince him that the name Q Burke is awful. "Mt Shit" sounds about as good.

I'm pretty sure that they did.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Well "Mt Shit" would also be a memorable name. Gets people talking that would otherwise just look past a plain jane name like "Burke". Even a bad reaction is better than no reaction, Right? Just look at all this discussion about a letter of the alphabet. How many people in Boston even cared/remembered what Burke was named before?

I'm picturing a company policy where they tack "Q" onto many words while dealing with the public for the sake of brand reinforcement.

"Qmorning! Welcome to QBurke. We've got 6 fresh inches of Qsnow!!!"

I'm picturing a company policy where they tack "Q" onto many words while dealing with the public for the sake of brand reinforcement.

"Qmorning! Welcome to QBurke. We've got 6 fresh inches of Qsnow!!!"
    Andrew's job just got so much easier!

Thread Information