• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

#$%$%^$ "Q" Bukre....what do I do?

Mpdsnowman

Lol well if I were the letter "Q" in the alphabet I would be pumped right now. Christ he hasnt had that much attention since scrabble came out lol. He..or She's gotta be pumped... "Q" just knocked that "A" right off the top of the alphabet tree with all this attention lol...

I really dont even know what the "Q" is in reference too. The CEO's last name?? dont get it....

But I really dont have a problem with Jay investing all that money into the area. As long as they keep the people and feel of the place.....and a little fancy upgrade wont hurt. I kinda have to stand behind Jay in reference of what has been going on there over the past four years. I mean they simply knocked down some old stuff and put up some new stuff is all...I still find they have great prices on lift tix even when you walk up to get one.....and the waterpark is great....kids love it...

If they do...sort of what they did at Jay I think it will be a good advanced upgrade for the area....

Many individuals dont accept change...yet change happens every day in our lives....When I was at UTC I gave everyone in my dept this book... http://www.amazon.com/Who-Moved-My-Cheese-Amazing/dp/0399144463
Why?? because I know change is a constant and if one is prepared on how"they" would handle change, then life has no boundaries...

I say give this some time. I say dont overreact and see how it plays out. I think it will be ok....

Mpdsnowman

but whats the complication....I dont get it....Jay bought burke, they are making changes, upgrades... The mountain will still be the mountain and the snow will still be the snow.....and the people will be the people....

If adding a "Q" in front of a word indicates complcation, maybe what some people should do is substitute the word complication for progression.....because really thats what this industry is all about...progression....in a good way of course lol...

I plan on riding burke in early feb on my way north to jay.....im looking forward to it since ive hiked the thing several times but never but a ski or board on it...

thetrailboss

Staff member
but whats the complication....I dont get it....Jay bought burke, they are making changes, upgrades... The mountain will still be the mountain and the snow will still be the snow.....and the people will be the people....

If adding a "Q" in front of a word indicates complcation, maybe what some people should do is substitute the word complication for progression.....because really thats what this industry is all about...progression....in a good way of course lol...

I plan on riding burke in early feb on my way north to jay.....im looking forward to it since ive hiked the thing several times but never but a ski or board on it...

You need to go to the other thread and look a bit. It's again, much more than that.

http://vtdigger.org/2013/12/18/burke-resort-cuts-ties-mountain-biking-trails-network/

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/uvmba/jM5cnYOfTh0 (second post down is the response from Ary to a group of bikers)

http://vtdigger.org/2013/12/22/q-burke-kingdom-trails-mend/

If you read all that, consider that folks have not had a good experience thus far with them this season, and consider that Ary was going to not issue employees comp season passes, and you think it's OK, then I'd understand.

Mpdsnowman

Ok thanks for the links now I understand...Mountainbiking and the KT system....

Four years ago I put on a mountain bike meet at burke during the Summer. There were about 20 of them. We stayed at the campground at the base of the road. One morning I decided to hike up the mountain. Honestly I felt the real value was the KT system and the landowners who had the best and most travelled trails. The mountain itself didnt really have much to offer in comparison to below except for the trail that goes off the backside and the road witch the road warriors like to ride up and down on lol.

You know what I did find funny. The response he sent via email was sent from a yahoo server rather than burkes internal system....makes me wonder.....

But regardless the CEO just shot himself in the foot and cut his throat at the same time. Stenger is involved now, im sure they will negotiate the contract and in fact this little situation might actually strengthen the KT non profit and at the same time benefit the resort..

You wont need to worry about ary in a year or two. They move on all the time.

Lol funny I didnt realize when I took this photo I was shooting nostalgic history...I would imaging a Q is going if not already on the sign...

30068_1145179607584_8348546_n.jpg

halfpintvt

I'd like to see the new CEO of Q-Burke take a page out of the "Ed Koch" playbook and walk around Burke Mountain asking "So how am I doing?" I wonder what kind of feedback he'd get? Might learn something useful (both good and not so good).

Mpdsnowman

Well the reality is the local input usually wins out. And I see no exception in this senario. I mean those trails are beautiful. But they are beautiful because of the agreements and maintenance by the land owners and others involved ie: the locals. The mountain I found to be kinda limited on trials for biking...

30068_1145192607909_4813955_n.jpg

Now I didnt ride any bike down this. I hiked down it, step for step. It was for sure a trail for the extreme expert if we choose to use such a term...some spots no way with all that mud was any bike getting thru there... would I want to take a chair lift up to the top to ride down it on my bike?? no.

One thing I will say in the resorts defence. in no way is 20 bucks a person enough to cover the cost of running that lift for whose going up there. Its not like you have 100 people waiting in gated lines like the tram at jay lol...I dont think anyway...so for them to say lets add more money I could see that being valid...maybe a little too valid so really why even need the lift....imo..

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I don't know the specific $ numbers but I would think, if they kept the $35 ticket, and something like $27 went to Burke and $8 went to KT would seem like a good compromise. Riders having to put up $15 for a full KT day pass for those that "might ride the non-lift served trails" on the mountain at some point in the day seems to be a bit of overkill. Running a lift is expensive.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd like to see the new CEO of Q-Burke take a page out of the "Ed Koch" playbook and walk around Burke Mountain asking "So how am I doing?" I wonder what kind of feedback he'd get? Might learn something useful (both good and not so good).

Not going to happen.