• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Greek Peak 12/2213, The Remnants

Cornhead

Date(s) Skied: 12/22/13

Resort or Ski Area: Greek Peak

Conditions: Firm, melted manmade

Trip Report:

Well, it was either wrap up my Christmas shopping, or run up to GP and see how much damage had been done. I decided to check out Greek. I stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods, and picked up a Frog Toggs rain suit for $35, as it was raining all morning, and my ski gear isn't up to that task. Turns out, I didn't need the rain gear. It was overcast the whole morning, but it didn't rain at all. Curious to see how this stuff works when I do need it. I think it's made of Tyvek. Funky shit, semi disposable looking. Could turn out being a great thing to keep in the car. So, how bad was it? Well, they lost a shitload of snow, obviously. Temps in the sixties with rain will do that to a ski hill.
2013-12-22_11-08-15_71.jpg

Illiad, Elysian Fields, Platonic, Stoic, and Castor were the only options. Iliad was a tad firm, Castor skied a lot better. A short walk was required to reach the top of Fields.
2013-12-22_11-29-36_516.jpg
Natural portions of Illiad, and Fields that skied so nicely only five days ago were no more.

2013-12-22_11-27-09_573.jpg

A nice pond formed at the base, no I did not skim it, several people did, one spectacular crash was witnessed from the bar, sorry no action pics.

2013-12-22_11-20-17_959.jpg

The new bar, Trax, is nice.

2013-12-22_13-24-46_959.jpg

Cornhead

2013-12-22_13-24-52_601.jpg

I had to leave and head home, this was GP's idea of football Sunday afternoon, the more things change, the more they stay the same!

2013-12-22_13-38-10_754.jpg

Rambo

Was Cammo-John there or Walt (with the horn on his ski pole)? Great report Mr. Corn, it's appreciated.

Cornhead

Nope, did see and talk with Steve and Rob at the bar though. It didn't ski terribly, it was far from corn snow however. Picked up some good speed on Castor. I think Fields was a tad softer than Illiad too. It was much better than shopping, oh, I did buy a present at Lowes on my way home, pats self on back. I'm off tomorrow, I'll be finishing my shopping then. Watch it puke Thursday night, I had the choice of Monday or Friday off.

ScottySkis

Nope, did see and talk with Steve and Rob at the bar though. It didn't ski terribly, it was far from corn snow however. Picked up some good speed on Castor. I think Fields was a tad softer than Illiad too. It was much better than shopping, oh, I did buy a present at Lowes on my way home, pats self on back. I'm off tomorrow, I'll be finishing my shopping then. Watch it puke Thursday night, I had the choice of Monday or Friday off.

Nice looking bar sorry about loss of snow. I hopefully it snowy a lot on Thursday for mountains and for my 4 day Vermont North hopefully I will go. At least they stayed open today depressing compared to last weekend but that happens here great snow then crap then great conditions again, hookers and snow hopefully make this winter better then last 2 seasons, it my fault for warm temperature because I put ny snow tires on in October.

Cornhead

1387752537297.jpg
This was skier's right of Fields Tuesday night, it is bare now.

Warp Daddy

OOOH man, that is fugly guys , better come up here to ski , i plowed 3 times today , 4 times yesterday and twice on friday . Snowbanks are ginormous. Titus was closed today to rework the mtn break up the icing and will be open tomorrow . the temps held the hill im sure and the new guns will still be blowing :fangun:My guess is Canadian peaks in Quebec all got snow rather than freezing niar

My family posse will be out Thursday we'll let ya know :spin:

Cornhead

OOOH man, that is fugly guys , better come up here to ski , i plowed 3 times today , 4 times yesterday and twice on friday . Snowbanks are ginormous. Titus was closed today to rework the mtn break up the icing and will be open tomorrow . the temps held the hill im sure and the new guns will still be blowing :fangun:My guess is Canadian peaks in Quebec all got snow rather than freezing niar

Hey Warp, glad to hear you're making it through the ice storm OK! Yeah, Greek's definitely toast for now. Glad I made it up to Snow Ridge twice recently. Ever ski 4ft of snow before? I hadn't, until 12/13. I've got another Titus voucher again this year, maybe I can run up there after Whiteface sometime. Love to share some turns with you.

MadMadWorld

26 cm for Tremblant in the last 24 hrs!

doublediamond

Longtime lurker new poster. GP regular. Those pics look horrible. :cry:

I'm absolutely pissed they shut down snowmaking during the storm and then they started making snow on the east side of Alpha, and on Wendy's and Cristy's. The old management is up to their same tricks ... make bare minimum snow everywhere instead of building a better base. Hopefully John and Marc dump the old management.

Warp Daddy

Corny DO it !! yeah i have skied the Ridge in the Deep stuff. We ski it every season in addition to my Titus pass i have a FREE season pass to Dry Hill which i use when the Queen goes to the mall and THAT gets me into the Ridge or Macauley on Wednesdays por nada ;) ,.

Me and my bro in law been skiing SR for 25 yrs , once we caught it after a 104 inch dump ( over 3 day period). So i know how u felt wallowing in the deep pack out of the groove. , it is taxing :)

happy Trails partner u r an epic storm chaser dude !

Do you mean to tell me Titus got no rain or ice the last 3 days?

Warp Daddy

Sure they got some BUT they had snow too like we did here along the river . I plowed 13 times in 4 days here . They have the mtn open today