• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Any plans at Stratton?

WoodCore

If you look at the new trail map, it indicates future trail development to skiers left of the Meadows. Perhaps this is being built in correlation with the new HSQ in the Snow Bowl.

canobie#1

^Where do you see that i'm looking at it right now and I see no indication.

Steamboat, the crowds that were getting off the tamarack used that access point right in front of where you get off the chair. It is supposed to go to the tamarack from detour but everyone was using it to get to the URSA because it was flat enough.

The Sneak

All I know is we went there Saturday and subzero temps did nothing to diminish the insane lift lines at all high speed chairs. Sun bowl was not running, neither was tamarack. 30 min gondola wait and the URSA chair had both heinous lines and the chair kept stopping. I don't think we even had 10k vert by lunch.

Really annoyed in light of the other trip reports from Saturday.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

canobie#1

I did some research:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/ANR/ANRWeb/Act250SearchResults.aspx
http://www.anr.state.vt.us/imaging/planning/2W0519-10B Alt 2/Plans Folder/Exhibit 3 Site Map.pdf

Nothing major. A few new trails here and there. New Kidderbrook chair and Sun Bowl upgrades. Oh, and guess what? MORE CONDOS!:lol:

Note: If you try to open any other documents, copy and paste the link into another tab instead of downloading it. I had trouble downloading.

Great find. I hope test pilot survives.
A new chair for south american surprises me. It seems like several of those plans have already occurred so it looks like a good start. That trail at kidderbrook seems a little too wide.

x10003q

A new chair for south american surprises me. It seems like several of those plans have already occurred so it looks like a good start. That trail at kidderbrook seems a little too wide.

There was a trail cut next to Kidderbrook many years ago. There was an obviously lower section of uniform height trees next to the lower section of the Kidderbrook quad. That trail #9 does look crazy wide - as wide as the supertrail in the sun bowl but without the trees. It is going to be expensive to cover it with snowmaking.

One more interesting observation - there is no way that Stratton has 2000 vertical feet. It looks more like a max of 1900.

Newpylong

My guess is Trail #9 next to Kidderbrook would be trees, I would hope not even Stratton would cut a swath that wide. More interesting is what looks like a new trail out of Kidderbrook, perhaps a little more pitch than Lower Kidderbrook currently. Good to see that little pod get attention.

Also looks like new Snow Bowl lift will start down Cabot Run by the condos. That should keep some people out of the main base.

Notice it says South American modifications, to go along with mid-mountain modifications, not an upgrade. There won't be a new lift, my guess is the top terminal will be moved.

twinplanx

I'll second that! Had a lot of fun on Test Pilot a few years ago after a mid-week dump. If any Stratton/Interwest folks are out there; please leave this zone alone, or at least allow it to maintain its character.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

FourOhFour

My guess is Trail #9 next to Kidderbrook would be trees, I would hope not even Stratton would cut a swath that wide.
Trail #9 is yellow, which according to the key is existing not proposed. I haven't been out that way, but is it possible that trail #9 is test pilot?

canobie#1

^Yeah thats my guess too. Test Pilot was added not too long ago if I have my facts straight.

woofydoggie

They could install a HS six pack in the snow bowl, and move it to the tamarack line. I would be really upset is they build a summit restaurant. The Hubert Haus has some of the best hot coco i've ever had. It would be sad if they just put in another restaurant with another machine.

Glenn

We were up there this weekend and checked out the new gondolas. It's a big improvement over the old ones. These have two benches that you can actual sit on. Skis and Boards will go on the outside of the cabin. We sat in one that was on the haul rope at the base terminal. Unfortunately, they didn't have the lift running. I believe they should have it going soon and hopefully have rides by Columbus Day. All in all, a nice upgrade.

Edit:
Added pics
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1509.jpg
    IMG_1509.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

woofydoggie

I was looking around their master plan and it said that there will be a total of 15 lifts including the sms poma. Im guessing a hs kdderbrook and hs snowbowl. :D

WoodCore

I was looking around their master plan and it said that there will be a total of 15 lifts including the sms poma. Im guessing a hs kdderbrook and hs snowbowl. :D

HSQ in the Snowbowl is in the plans and should be installed in the next couple years if not sooner. I wouldn't hold my breath for a replacement of the Kidderbrook chair though. Also read in the masterplan from 2001 mention of an aerial people mover lift from the parking lot to the base area. Not sure this will happen either.

woofydoggie

I don't understand why o one take the five minutes to go to the Sun Bowl and park there. In the newest master plan, it has a new parking area ON the golf course. That would be a beter place for a gondola/Cabrioliet, although it would have to go 1500 fpm to be worthwhile or take a bus.