Best format for pictures

AlpineZone

Best format for pictures

Been futzing all am on how to post good quality graphic files.
    apparently gif's only import as small (14~K) images.
    When I use jpg, they come out fuzzy. What's the best format and size to use?

Not talking about photos, edited maps. see below

tst-ALY-STF-JAN-1.jpg

I got a couple of them posted with better quality as jpeg, but can't figure out how I did it.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

what program are you saving the files out from ? Photoshop ?
    If your saving .jpeg….use the largest file size option..
    PDF may be a better format if you can save out as one..

I'm using an image editor called LView Pro. When I compare the file loaded by AZ vs. the file I created, it is significantly reduced on upload.
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

sounds like its compressing it when you upload, see if you have any other options on File format….pdf
    When I save my pics in Photoshop I do a save for web and lower the resolution to 1000 Pxls in the smallest dimension (Hight or width )
    But Photoshop does it well..not sure about LV

just downloaded the image you posted, it looks like its low resolution……must have been reduced in download
    or the map was in a linework format and it was rasterized when uploaded

Try PNG format if your graphic editor supports it. png-8 is pretty similar to a gif, png-24 allows more colors and for a better picture (and larger file size ..)
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Try opening an account at Photobucket or Flickr and uploading your pictures there. Then post them to AlpineZone using the IMG URL from there. They don't compress the images as much allowing for better clarity.

yup

Thread Information