• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown 1/3/14

Snowlover

yea thats me
Cool. You have a great mountain! You guys do an awesome job blowing snow, but I wish you'd give the guns a rest for a day after it snows naturally. Then you can turn them back on again after.(I'm not talking about this year, but in the past when I visited once that happened). Also, there's no way you guys can do a 30-35 dollar midweek 4 hour daytime ticket like the other 2 places in ct?(or reduce price of 2 hours?)

Snowlover

Oh and I have one more question. And I figure no better person to ask than you.

How come when you blow snow and groom overnight sometimes it turns to ice and crud spots and is relatively hard/scratchy, but sometimes it doesn't and stays relatively soft/packed powder. And I'm showing up in the morning and it has stayed below freezing the whole time. It's very strange.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Cool. You have a great mountain! You guys do an awesome job blowing snow, but I wish you'd give the guns a rest for a day after it snows naturally. Then you can turn them back on again after.(I'm not talking about this year, but in the past when I visited once that happened). Also, there's no way you guys can do a 30-35 dollar midweek 4 hour daytime ticket like the other 2 places in ct?(or reduce price of 2 hours?)

http://skisundown.com/The-Mountain/Tickets-Passes/Lift-Tickets

http://skisundown.com/The-Mountain/Tickets-Passes/Midweek-12-Pack

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Oh and I have one more question. And I figure no better person to ask than you.

How come when you blow snow and groom overnight sometimes it turns to ice and crud spots and is relatively hard/scratchy, but sometimes it doesn't and stays relatively soft/packed powder. And I'm showing up in the morning and it has stayed below freezing the whole time. It's very strange.

some times the guns run wet depending on temperature and humdity. the reason some mornings are scratchy is because we groom over the fresh snow, and it freezes. usually after a second groom session it breaks up nicley and becomes awesome again. as you saw this past monday into tuesday with the rain freeze scenario.

planb420

The only thing you need to know about the CT Ski/Snowboard industry Snowlover is that Ski Sundown is the BEST CT has to offer BY FAR. I ride 80+ days a year and if I knew there was a better place I'd be there, but the fact is this IS the best and thats why I choose to spend so much time there. The icy patches is just a way of life for a new england skier...the sooner you embrace that fact the better, ice happens. Jarrod you guys stay AWESOME and make that snow whenever its right, us junkies will hang in there with you like always. :) SUNDOWN RULES!!!!

Snowlover

some times the guns run wet depending on temperature and humdity. the reason some mornings are scratchy is because we groom over the fresh snow, and it freezes. usually after a second groom session it breaks up nicley and becomes awesome again. as you saw this past monday into tuesday with the rain freeze scenario.

Thanks for the answer. At what humidity percentage level do the guns run "wet"?

Snowlover

The only thing you need to know about the CT Ski/Snowboard industry Snowlover is that Ski Sundown is the BEST CT has to offer BY FAR. I ride 80+ days a year and if I knew there was a better place I'd be there, but the fact is this IS the best and thats why I choose to spend so much time there. The icy patches is just a way of life for a new england skier...the sooner you embrace that fact the better, ice happens. Jarrod you guys stay AWESOME and make that snow whenever its right, us junkies will hang in there with you like always. :) SUNDOWN RULES!!!!
I know ice happens at every ec area. I'm just trying to go/figure out when it's best.

I don't know.... Powder ridge might be a little better than sundow ;) lol

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Thanks for the answer. At what humidity percentage level do the guns run "wet"?

that's the part that is more of an art than a science. we try to use low energy guns that allow us to run more of them at the same time. what low energy refers to is, less air... about 60 cubic feet per minute. this allows us to run more guns than just a few years ago with out the significant investment in bigger air compressors, which we did anyways 2 seasons ago.

the classic snowmaking plan is one trail at a time until the managers decide to go back and go for base depth. we've gotten away from that and opt to hit 100% as fast as possible. its more fun for us. we're small. we know that. we need to be 100% open. this year, that happened on day 2.

anyway, the art part of snow making is where the labor is. our dudes are out 24 hours a day keeping an eye on things and trying to make slight adjustments. all of them are skiers and snowboarders which helps tremendously.

please feel free to ask any question you want. or track me down mid week for a lift ride conversation. my name is Jarrod obviously.