• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Good Hardshell Option (Mammut Masao)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Saw this at REI Outlet and it was a good price: http://www.rei.com/product/865257/mammut-masao-rain-jacket-mens-2013-overstock

pixel.gif

Just got it today and it is a pretty durable hardshell...a bit more "beefy" than a thin rain coat but not too bulky. More to come after I take it out for a few outings.

Anyone else have this or other Mammut stuff? Like it?

Puck it

Mammut head to toe. Swear by it. I have a couple ultimate hoodies with windstopper and a couple 1/4 zip pullovers with same. Pants are their Stoney pants.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stupid lack of smalls.

Mammut stuff runs REALLY small....so unless you are a real tiny dude go with the medium. You will be surprised.

And FWIW I just saw that they went on FURTHER clearance....so I took mine back and ordered it on the uber discount.

drjeff

The shop that I buy about 95% of mine and my families stuff at Mount Snow that just stocks GOOD stuff started stocking Mammut last season - both owners and their wives, wear it! 'Nuff said quality wise as they DON'T cut corners!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

Puck it

That is all I wear. I got one on STP at the beginning on the year in the green as back up to my current one in yellow for that same price.

gmcunni

i love my TNF shell for protection and warmth. with a fleece under it i've gotten down to single digit temps and some wind and not felt cold at all. my compliaint is lack of pockets. only 2 hand pockets. i need chest zip and a secure inside pocket too.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. Both Mammut jackets have served me well over the past few months. The Ultimate Hoody is pretty much a go-to for me. LOVE it. Great for spring skiing, summer hiking in cool temps, and general use. Very good ventilation. Looks great. Couldn't beat the price.

Same for the Masao. Love it. The material is nice--it has a (tiny) bit of stretch to it. The waterproofing works well. Both are VERY packable, which is nice, but don't sacrifice anything for performance.

Some action shots:

Masao on the last day of ski season...wet, windy, snowy Memorial Day Weekend at Snowbird. I was dry underneath.

ry%3D400

Drying it out.....

ry%3D400

Ultimate Hoody on the High Traverse at Alta in March:

ry%3D400

And at Snowbasin:

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
That green is sexy! How warm does it keep you?

I wore it this past weekend up in VT/NH. You know that the weather was pretty cool in the shade and wet. It kept me plenty warm then.

It does have a thin fleece lining. A bit lighter than the Patagonia Adze I'd say.

The REI photo also does not do it justice--the dark green shoulder and arm areas has a raised grid pattern on the material that is really neat. It also has a iPhone/MP3 player pocket and slit for headphone cables to run through. All in all a pretty nice piece.