• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A Good Hardshell Option (Mammut Masao)

thetrailboss

Staff member
REI still has some Mammut on sale....

The Chopaka 2.0 is now on sale for $93.00. It is a nice softshell. Love my green one. Tempted to get a blue one, but don't really need it...

19231297-d2cc-4e46-a311-4de085ca2851.jpg

I pulled the trigger on this one....I needed a lighter softshell for warmer temps: http://www.rei.com/product/851627/mammut-amabilis-jacket-mens#tab-reviews

$93 as well. Went with the green.

abc6a4a7-de10-4707-9052-b2e8a3cea0e1.jpg

The Guye Jacket also looks sweet:

34045aed-70ae-4059-9722-a98ae4ea881e.jpg

This guy is also on sale....love my red one that I got at REI last year for a whopping $33.00

883a6627-ad9c-4545-aacd-e83fe06ad26d.jpg

And I love this guy that I got last year....

fe0ff73d-65e8-4e5d-a40e-4333c0910468.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump. So I am hooked to Mammut. The only downsides are the price and small sizes but other than that I am sold. It's become a good alternative to Patagonia, whose stuff has gotten more expensive, not as well-built in my view, and smaller. I can get Mammut at good prices from REI Outlet, Sierra Trading Post, and Backcountry.com. Still somewhat limited though on models....not that I need any more.

I did end up springing for the blue Chopaka at that discounted price. Love my green one. Need some cooler temps to break it out.

I also will be asking Santa for the blue Darrington jacket for street wear. ;)

I'm also pretty sure that my current profile pic is the Mammut Masao last Memorial Day Weekend during a rainy/snowy day at Snowbird. Warm, dry, and toasty.

BackLoafRiver

Any thoughts on their insulating (down or synthetic) jackets?

For whatever reason the cold has been a bit aggressive over the past few years and I'm rethinking what I use as a mid

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Any thoughts on their insulating (down or synthetic) jackets?

For whatever reason the cold has been a bit aggressive over the past few years and I'm rethinking what I use as a mid

I've got one of their synthetic filled vests and love it. It's warm for me. On the lighter end of the insulation scale.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bump.

This just arrived:

AMA.jpg

Got it last week on 40% clearance from Backcountry.com. Not the screaming deal that I got on my first Ultimate Hoody in 2014 (that was over 60% off on STP), but a good value considering that this can be used all four seasons in the mountains out here (except for the hottest and coldest of times), has all the bells and whistles I want (pit zips, belay zipper, enough pockets, versatile temperature range, built tough, etc.)

They only have smalls left now....