• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bretton Woods 01/50/2014

dlague

Bretton Woods 01/05/2014

Bretton Woods

Conditions:
PP on frozen HP with occasional 6-8" deep powder stashes

Trip Report:

After have a good day at Pats Peak we set off for something a little bigger and opted to take advantage of the resident deal for Sunday afternoons at Bretton Woods and ski with mywife, brother-in-laws (wife’s brother and my sister’s husband) and the kids. With temps feeling very comfortable and recent snow, this had the makings for a great day.

While we waited for others to get ready, we started off taking a run off Bethlehem’s Express down on Bretton’s Wood (not much imagination on that trail name). The conditions were really fast even though it basically was a beginner trail which left us excited about other terrain. The center of that trail did have a few scrapped off spots that could catch your attention. Once we met up with everyone, we did our normal - work our way to West Mountain. The most entertaining trail was Lower In Between which had powderish bumps that were fun. However, there were several drainage troughs going across the trail that caught us off guard initially (unexpected) but turned into opportunities for a little air. Once we made to the summit of West Mountain, we were a little disappointed because Waumbek was not open. In fact, not much was open on that side which surprised all of us, so we head back to the base lodge area.

We then headed back up on Bethlehem’s Express to the make our way to Mt Rosebrook. We took one run down Bode’s Run and it was pretty scraped off. Really was not that bad since you can basically just straight shoot that trail so the frozen PP does not really matter unless you want to make a turn or two. Once again there really was not much open over there either. So we turned our focus, towards Darby’s Drop and Deception Bowl via Diamond Ridge. I opted to go down Darby’s Drop on the first pass while others headed down Deception Bowl or Water Tank. Darbys Drop was fun with small to midsized moguls even though there were some icy spots here and there.

After a Tuckerman’s, our thoughts for the rest of the time were to lap Bethlehem’s Express and ski Deception Bowl and Darby’s Drop. We ended our day doing 6 runs heading down Perimeter A over to those two trails with a final full tuck run down Sawyer’s Swoop B because my 11 year old wanted to race his uncle. Deception Bowl had awesome cover but a thought did come to mind – that trail starts off wide and narrows at the bottom and shoots you down a narrower section of trail much like Darby’s Drop and I find it amazing how much we trust our gear as trees are zipping by!

Overall it was a great afternoon for $25 and conditions were pretty good IMO. Though we did go trough Wild West Glade which was scratchy (need to check my skis), I was hoping that more snow would have been in the woods. Then again, they did not get the accumulation we did further south in NH. It was a cruising type of day and we just had simple fun with it. Bretton Woods is not one of my favorites but it is for my wife, we get to ski for less and with my wife’s brother (good for a lot laughs).

Pics to follow!

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

So that's what happens when the Mayan calendar runs out. Sounds like you got in on the fun before everything went to %×! $

dlague

Looking towards Mt Washington down Cascade
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1389115678.034062.jpg

Looking down Bigger Den towards Base Lodge
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1389115853.604492.jpg

Looking down the top of Deception Bowl
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1389115894.811281.jpg