• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are all the moguls?

gmcunni

http://www.saminfo.com/article/speakout-where-are-all-moguls

Nice to see Ski Sundown listed with the big boys:

[h=1]
But there are a few places that stand out from crowd: Winter Park's Mary Jane in Colorado, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, and Killington in Vermont, and Ski Sundown in Connecticut, just to name some standouts. At those mountains, you can find moguls on low-angle runs, intermediate runs, advanced runs, and expert runs. This is called progression, and it is absolutely necessary to the survival of the sport.
[/h]

skiNEwhere

I know Sunday River used to let 3-D, a long intermediate trail, bump up pretty good. I always enjoyed trying to tackle moguls on that trail as a kid before moving up to bigger and better stuff.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Thanks for the cross post. Don't know how much of an impact this piece will make, but maybe it will at least make some more folks in the industry think about it. It will also be in the January print edition of SAM Magazine.

Savemeasammy

I guess I'm one of those "holdovers" you write about! I'm doing my part to get my 6-year-old into it. His favorite trail at our local hill is the bump run under the chair. It's a tough one to learn on, though, because it is rather steep. I would really love to see them let some bumps form on some lower-angle stuff. It would make it much easier for him to pick it up! I like the idea of grooming half the width of the trails as well. When I ski with my wife, these sorts of trails allow us to do the kind of skiing we both enjoy - on the same run. It also offers people the opportunity to ski some bumps without the fear of committing to an entire run!

Nice read. I hope it makes some sort of an impact!

dlague

I guess I'm one of those "holdovers" you write about! I'm doing my part to get my 6-year-old into it. His favorite trail at our local hill is the bump run under the chair. It's a tough one to learn on, though, because it is rather steep. I would really love to see them let some bumps form on some lower-angle stuff. It would make it much easier for him to pick it up! I like the idea of grooming half the width of the trails as well. When I ski with my wife, these sorts of trails allow us to do the kind of skiing we both enjoy - on the same run. It also offers people the opportunity to ski some bumps without the fear of committing to an entire run!

Nice read. I hope it makes some sort of an impact!

Kind of like FIS? I saw you and your son pick up some bumps off to skiers right below the trees. I had not noticed those before that.

Savemeasammy

Kind of like FIS? I saw you and your son pick up some bumps off to skiers right below the trees. I had not noticed those before that.

FIS at Pats is a good example, however that section is a bit short. Last year they also had a section of bumps on Tornado. Those set up pretty nicely, but that section is maybe a bit steep for learners. It was popular, though. Believe me, I had many times where I had to wait for kids to get out of the way! People are interested... I'm sure are there are also people who are just intimidated by skiing bumps under a chair. I heard more than one tween/teen heckle people from the chair on Saturday....

dlague

FIS at Pats is a good example, however that section is a bit short. Last year they also had a section of bumps on Tornado. Those set up pretty nicely, but that section is maybe a bit steep for learners. It was popular, though. Believe me, I had many times where I had to wait for kids to get out of the way! People are interested... I'm sure are there are also people who are just intimidated by skiing bumps under a chair. I heard more than one tween/teen heckle people from the chair on Saturday....

I much preferred the bumps that formed on Tornado a few days after one of the snow storms then the bumps on Hurricane. They were more knee friendly in my case!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Using a snowcat, this is the basic process:

Begin first line of moguls by pushing up a blade of snow. Crawl over pile of snow, and begin next pile while descending the last pile. Get into a rhythm (or follow bamboo/flags set to FIS standards if you're building a comp course) all the way up/down (depending on whether winching or free grooming) the line. The cut off 2/3 of the width of the piles you just made. Begin next line by positioning piles beside and between the piles you just made. Repeat until you're satisfied with the number of lines.

It's really hard to describe. I just seeded a couple lines last night at Ski Cooper. Next time I do it, I'll get some video. Maybe even make a "how-to" for other cat operators.

hammer

How have the moguls been at Crotched this year? When I went last year there were several trail sides where they were allowed to form. Nice opportunity to learn.

BenedictGomez

It's really hard to describe.
I just seeded a couple lines last night at Ski Cooper. Next time I do it, I'll get some video. Maybe even make a "how-to" for other cat operators.

Yeah, I couldnt follow that.

I was thinking, I'd like to see a Youtube, so that video would be interesting to many I think. Until then, I'll just consider it sorcery.

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, I couldnt follow that.

I was thinking, I'd like to see a Youtube, so that video would be interesting to many I think. Until then, I'll just consider it sorcery.

This video quality isn't very good, but I think it's the technique that BMM was describing:

BenedictGomez

I have to reject the premise that, "the market doesnt want moguls".

I've skied most my life and have never known this to be the case. Perhaps that's the likely opinion of the 1 to 3 days per year crowd, but how important is their dollar versus your steady repeat clientele anyway?

And I've never known anyone to be anti grooming 1/2 an intermediate trail and leaving 1/2 moguls. To this skier, this seems such an obvious win-win compromise that I have never understood why the 50:50 trail is so relatively uncommon.

Lastly, when all the potential causes of the decline in mogul terrain are listed, IMO the increase in snowboarding is likely the #1 culprit.

bvibert

Staff member
Using a snowcat, this is the basic process:

Begin first line of moguls by pushing up a blade of snow. Crawl over pile of snow, and begin next pile while descending the last pile. Get into a rhythm (or follow bamboo/flags set to FIS standards if you're building a comp course) all the way up/down (depending on whether winching or free grooming) the line. The cut off 2/3 of the width of the piles you just made. Begin next line by positioning piles beside and between the piles you just made. Repeat until you're satisfied with the number of lines.

It's really hard to describe. I just seeded a couple lines last night at Ski Cooper. Next time I do it, I'll get some video. Maybe even make a "how-to" for other cat operators.

Sundown uses a different technique, which yields more irregular bumps. They use the blade to push up individual piles of snow to form the bumps, working from the top down, backwards. Once the piles are in place skiers and boarders need to ski em in. It's a tedious process, with lots of back and forth movements in the cat, but I think it works well. The bumps end up feeling more like natural bumps than a course, which I like!