• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Buying ski boots online? Where? Looking for deals :)

dlague

We have gone to shops before and just feel like we got taken to the cleaners - I know my size, my wife's size and the size for my kids. I have been choosing their gear to advance them. The shops seemed to put my wife, in particular, in soft boots and skis and her ability stayed flat. I started buying her stiffer boots that had advanced features and skis that required more skill to drive them, low and behold, her ability has increased dramatically!

My non skiing ex wife brought my GROWING son to Ken Jones and was fitted in a pair of economy boots so that the tip of his toe was against the front of the boot. Wrong - key word growing! Before the season was even done his toes hurt as his foot grew. I took the boots back and demanded a new pair. I found out that he got screwed they charged him top dollar for the previous years boot. In all fairness they fixed the issue and replaced them with a better pair at no additional cost.

Shops also smell money - if they think they can sell you boots for $600-$700 and skis for $1000 they will try - happened to my sister. When she told me - I told her to go back and return it. I found her boots for $210 and skis for $350 including bindings all specific to her improving.

Moral of this story - if going to a shop know your shit and prices! Online resources are great for that purpose. I buy online period then again I know what I am looking for!

D-2.5-GT

Ken Jones has gone down hill over the years.

The last time I was in there a few years ago to see about some new boots and had some reservations about the prices I was seeing, I was flat out told by the fitter that there was no way I would find boots for myself under 600. His whole attitude was condescending that I wasn't ready to just drop my card on the table right there and basically didn't want to help anymore. I ended up finding a prior model year boot for 1/3 cost online from GolfAndSki that year. Even the current model boots after searching other shops were priced 15-20% lower at many other places. Its like they knew and didn't want me to have a chance to look elsewhere. Last year I bought brand new skis and I can tell you where i never bothered looking...

I'm sure they get a lot of this and it can be frustrating, but at the same time there are many other choices for consumers and how you handle customers makes all the difference.

Redliner

Thanks to everyone for their input! I have learned alot from all of you as well as building a list of sites to visit. I was told by my bootfitter/pedeothortist that the worst thing you can do is put a pair of boots on and walk around the ski shop for a half hour to see if they feel comfortable. Sneakers are comfortable. I want a boot that performs and wont kill my feet while I'm skiing. I'm going to trust that he can take a boot from the list and make them a custom fit. Just following his advice. I did find a pair of Lange RX130W 29.5 new for 300$ so I jumped on them. I do like to support local buisnesses, however ski shops are a different animal and the money sucking is extrordinary. I grew up at Ski area, did every job on the mountain and still feel as if I have a good idea of what I want. I just cant afford to pay normal prices. That's actually what attracted me to this site in 2011 :) Just like when I was looking for a deal on skis at Wa-Wa. They tried to sell me everything that was big bucks. I kept looking until I found a pair of leftovers hiding in the corner. Granted 3 years old, but brand new pair of Salomon Hurricane 180's never mounted with bindings for 200$!! They told me "those skiis are no good for you! :)" well I walked out with them and have never been so happy with a pair of skiis! Anyhow I'll take my chances with these Lange's, I have a 14 day return if needed. Making another app to get my boots fitted, beds installed and shimmed or shaved. Thanks again all and if you see a guy on the slopes with 30 year old poles, you know the kind with baskets, it might just be me :) say hi! Thanks!!

Redliner

Hi I just wanted to follow up on this thread. The custom footbeds are amazing! The Lange boot is alot softer than I expected even though its a 130, I can flex it nicely. Where I used to lose control from foot slop in hairy conditions now I feel like I have total control. Like driving a brand new car. This boot is made from a material that does not stiffen as the weather gets colder, so nice. We took off the big power strap and added a Booster strap that rides on the tounge of the boot. It really provides extra support and return to desired stance with every turn. Very happy with the boot fitter and stance alignment. Thanks to all!!