• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundance, Utah (Robert Redford's Hidden Gem)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Sundance Resort, Utah
Date: January11, 2014
Conditions/Weather: P/PP, partly sunny skies and some wind. Mild—30’s.
2014 Trip No: 11
Trip Report:
Earlier this year, our local Costco had the usual run ofdiscount ski tickets—Park City and Canyons—but there were newcomers to thestore—Snowbird and Sundance. TheSundance tickets caught my attention because in July we drove through AmericanFork Canyon and stopped at Sundance. The area, small by west coast standards, has a very unusual base area that is “blended in” with the landscape and offers up 450 acres of ski terrain and 2,150vertical feet. By east coast standards that is a good sized area (the same vertical as Jay). And, with non-blackout tickets at $44 apiece, I could not resist.

My wife and I skied there on December 26
[SUP]th[/SUP]. Snow was scant, and it was my wife’s firstski outing in a year because of her torn ACL. So the day was cut short…and I was disappointed having only sampled a few of the runs. So I went to Costco and snagged two more tickets. When a friend, interviewing for residency, came by, and said that he wanted to ride a resortthat offered a taste of the west but was not too crazy, I suggested Sundance.

“Sundance? Like thefilm festival?”

“Yep. It’s Robert Redford’sresort. And it’s legit.”

He looked at the trail map and was impressed by thevariety. I also told him that the placewas the “non-resort” and not crowded. He was sold.

We drove down I-15 to Provo Canyon and headed up to themountain. Since I had already been there I knew the drill—park above and ride the bus down. No problem. I was not expecting the lines at the ticket office though so while my friend got his rental sorted I rode the bus back up to go to that ticket window. Nearly everyone had the Costco vouchers and many told me that they would not have been there otherwise. I grabbed my tickets, thanked the agent for selling them at Costco, and headed down to meet my friend.

Sundance is essentially two mountain peaks stacked on top of each other. The lower mountain has two lifts that act as shuttles and have mid load and unloads. This explains why the main quad, Ray’s Lift, starts and stops so often—you can disembark that lift at three different placesand use it for downloading. The upper mountain has two triples serving exclusively black and blue terrain with Bishop’s Bowl as the focal point for the “bowl” and western skiing.

Here’s the trail map: http://sundanceresort.com/explore/pdf/winter trail map_PR_14.pdf
The Upper Mountain as viewed from the top of Ray’s:
ry%3D400

We did a warm-up down Navajo Cattrack to Maverick and hitJake’s Lift (a new quad) before heading down Lone Pine to the backside and theold school Flathead Triple Chair.
Maverick:
ry%3D400

Lone Pine:
ry%3D400

Flathead Triple:
ry%3D400

Bishop’s Bowl from Flathead:
ry%3D400

To ease the transition, we headed down Cassidy’s Traverseand down Bear Claw, the wide intermediate trail off the summit (I will admit toscoping out some trees though).
Next stop was the Bishop’s Bowl. I was salivating to jump in there and it didnot disappoint:
That is yours truly:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Steve tries his first west coast bowl:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

On our first spin, we skied the Bishop’s Cat Track out andthen down Badlands back to the Arrowhead Triple. We found ourselves at the top of Bishop’s:
ry%3D400

Before skiing down Lower Grizzly Bowl to Flathead.
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

thetrailboss

Staff member
After lunch, we did a couple more spins including one downHill’s Headwall and Freddie’s:
ry%3D400

Some other pics:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

A cool panorama from the top of Flathead:
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The view from the top:
ry%3D400

A great place to visit for sure. Lots of locals and even straight skis. Great vibe and some cool terrain. I hope to go back soon after we get some moresnow.

twinplanx

Cool TR. Downhill Racer was recently on one of the Dish channels. Interesting flick. 60's-70's cinema photography is weird...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

abc

I've been there twice (free ticket from Decente jacket). Neither time was too good condition though. The place receive a lot of sun, great for taking pictures, not so great for snow preservation.

It's a pretty cool place for those who live nearby and can go when condition is right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've been there twice (free ticket from Decente jacket). Neither time was too good condition though. The place receive a lot of sun, great for taking pictures, not so great for snow preservation.

It's a pretty cool place for those who live nearby and can go when condition is right.

For a Utah area it is low elevation. Tops out at 8,300 feet.

4aprice

For a Utah area it is low elevation. Tops out at 8,300 feet.

Been there once and these two quotes sum it up for me. Kind of a weird base area too. The views of Mt Timpangos are awesome though. That is one big ass mountain with incredible cliff walls. Great view of it off the back of Brighton too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

thetrailboss

Staff member
Been there once and these two quotes sum it up for me. Kind of a weird base area too. The views of Mt Timpangos are awesome though. That is one big ass mountain with incredible cliff walls. Great view of it off the back of Brighton too.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Do you mean back of Snowbird? I guess you could probably see it from Brighton.

JohnQ

Hit Sundance about 12 years ago and it was a lot of fun. The best part was driving up through Orem and seeing all of the kids waiting for the bus with their boards. Made me incredibly jealous.

Agree that the vibe is good and it's definitely a locals kind of place. Tough to make the time when there are so many other good options available but I'm glad we did. Thanks for reminding me.