• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's see if this has any legs!

Funky_Catskills

JimG.

Staff member
The ban has gotten old and needs to go; in today's climate, it's just another form of discrimination.

I'm a skier and have never snowboarded, but I have many friends I slide with who choose a snowboard as their choice of carving tool. I'm sick of the snowboard hate. Time to put an end to it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This day and age this seems out of place. Many older snowboarders are more responsible than many skiers. Yet snowboarding still gets a bad wrap. What sat you?

http://www.powder.com/stories/first...rding-ban-in-court-again/#Ukw1SUypQTiEovsa.97

I was going to bump this thread because it looks like briefing is close to done on the Tenth Circuit appeal. I doubt that the decision will be reversed and that the pro-snowboarding appellants will file an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court only to get denied.

Personally, to each his own. I skied a lot at Snowbird and Alta last season (the wide majority of the season). I actually skied both equally and love both for different reasons. I'm OK with Alta's decision to be for skiing only. Of course if I snowboarded I might have a different opinion. I don't hear this kind of anger directed at Deer Valley and not so much anymore at MRG.

mbedle

I think the reason you don't hear to much about MRG is they don't have the best product and they are not located on public land. As far as deer valley, they are also on private land. I think the lawsuit against Alta is primarily based on the fact they operate on federal land.

mbedle

Can you clarify?

Strictly from a marketing point of view, they have a very limited snowmaking system and an outdated single chair lift to their summit. Not exactly the kind of resort you are going to get snowboarders behind you, in your fight to be able to ride. Don't get me wrong, MRG offers something unique that a lot of skiers enjoy - its just not what the majority of the skier base want.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think the reason you don't hear to much about MRG is they don't have the best product and they are not located on public land. As far as deer valley, they are also on private land. I think the lawsuit against Alta is primarily based on the fact they operate on federal land.

I think the federal lease is one hook for the litigation. But for years Burton and others constantly hounded MRG. Lately it has not been an issue. And I find it interesting that they don't go after Deer Valley. Although they're probably smart enough to know that Deer Valley has more $$$ behind it.

And I would not call the (recently) refurbished Single "outdated".

steamboat1

It's fair to say that MRG is not a mass market product.

Mad River Glen has limited parking & doesn't own any land to expand parking. There's no room for the masses. As it is people park on the side of the road up & down from the parking area on busy days often necessitating quite a hike to the ski area.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You make a valid point. As much as I am 100% against snowboarding bans anywhere, MRG is "at capacity" as much as any ski area can be on weekends. No parking, long lift lines, packed lodge.

JimG.

Staff member
You make a valid point. As much as I am 100% against snowboarding bans anywhere, MRG is "at capacity" as much as any ski area can be on weekends. No parking, long lift lines, packed lodge.

What happened to first come, first served?

The solution to the capacity problem is to ban a segment of the sliding population?