• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's see if this has any legs!

twinplanx

I don't know maybe it's just me. I have similar issues with reporters going into some hostile environment and complaining that local officials didn't allow them to get the story they wanted. Not everyone has the same rules! It will take more then some frivolous lawsuit to change all of that.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

MadMadWorld

No one is saying that by allowing snowboarders you have to cater to them. I want to ride at MRG and the last thing I want is for them to change the way they do things. I want to go there because I like natural, ungroomed terrain. There are a lot of snowboarders that don't care about parks and man-made features.
There are not many places where terrain like MRG's can be found. That's why I'm annoyed by the ban. Plus, a lot of my riding partners are skiers. If they decide to go to MRG, or either of the others with bans, I'm assed out. The fact is there's no logical reason to disallow snowboards. They are doing it based on a prejudice against people that snowboard, or at least to cater to people with that prejudice, and anyone who says differently is full of shit.

I understand man I think it would be great for the mountains long term sustainability. I do think they would need to make changes though to accommodate an uptick in riders whether it's snowboarders or skiers. I think the points I have made are fair questions that make it not as black and white as you mentioned.

C-Rex

I understand man I think it would be great for the mountains long term sustainability. I do think they would need to make changes though to accommodate an uptick in riders whether it's snowboarders or skiers. I think the points I have made are fair questions that make it not as black and white as you mentioned.

I really doubt the issue is financial or has anything to do with infrastructure. As DHS said before, all they would have to do is limit the number of tickets sold per day.

If all they did was allow snowboarders, and didn't change anything else, no extra grooming, no parks, none of that, then they probably wouldn't have a lot of snowboarders coming anyway. It would just be guys like me that want to experience the terrain.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hope to see you ride there someday C-Rex. Anyone who's passionate about sliding on snow in the Northeast should get to experience MRG....one plank or two......don't matter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
We went over this in another thread steamboat1. I honestly don't care what you think of me. But, by all means, keep trying to express those feelings if that's what helps you make it through your day.

SnowRock

So to be clear you both are suggesting expressing an opinion on a forum is akin to telling people how to run their business?

steamboat1

What happened at Taos? How much has their business increased by allowing snowboarding?
Doesn't sound like it improved much. This is what the COO of Taos had to say when speaking about adding new lifts.

Taos Ski Valley chief operating officer Gordon Briner says thanks to fairly good snow over two of the past three years, as well as the ski area's decision four years ago to open its trails to snowboarders, skier visits have increased, "but not to the extent that we really had hoped, and that's why we think these improvements are important."

steamboat1

If MRG has capacity issues in regards to parking, snowmaking and lift capacity, then determine what the comfortable carrying capacity is of the area and restrict ticket sales to address the issue.
Those are issues independent of how someone chooses to slide downhill.

Deer Valley already limits it's lift ticket sales. Guess what? They don't allow snowboarders.

C-Rex

Let me refrase. People who call other people dicks because they decided not to allow snowboarders are the dicks.

People who defend dickhead behavior, like not allowing snowboarders for no good reason, are trolling, self-righteous asshats. And I only hope anyone of the opposite sex realizes it before they have a chance to breed.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's fine, but you didn't answer my question. I asked what your opinion is as to whether or not snowboarders should be allowed at MRG. My question was not about MRG's stance, it was about your stance.

I'll try and make it real simple for you. Would you mind snowboarders at MRG when you ski there?

steamboat1

That's fine, but you didn't answer my question. I asked what your opinion is as to whether or not snowboarders should be allowed at MRG. My question was not about MRG's stance, it was about your stance.

I'll try and make it real simple for you. Would you mind snowboarders at MRG when you ski there?
I thought you didn't care about what I think. You're so damn confusing.

deadheadskier

Staff member
No, I said I don't care what you think of me.

So, would you mind sharing the slopes at MRG with snowboarders? If not, why?