• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Let's see if this has any legs!

Scruffy

Look if a friggin' golf course can do this:

Then the ski areas that are hold outs can do the same! In the famous words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Here's the difference. That golf course holds one of the premier golf tournaments in big TV money ( think advertisement $$ ) sports.
Alta, MRG and DV barely make a mention in the floundering SKI mag industry. No one, outside of the snow sports participant population, and more to the point of this topic, a small portion of the snowboarding population, cares what Alta does.

abc

If you're a boarder, you just don't like to be excluded. Period. It's not nice.

But that doesn't make it discrimination.

Some places have dress code. You can't just walk in: "no shirt, no shoes, no service!" Exclusive, but not discrimination.

Some mountains will not allow snowboards. You want to slide around at Alta, slide on skis!

It's their dress code. No skis, no lift. You can't walk up to a lift, even if you have a lift ticket. Nor can you get on a lift if you only got snowboard.

Discrimination against boarding? Sure! Discrimination against shoes? Suuuuuureee...!!!

Last edited:

C-Rex

Everyone seems to think that the word discrimination only pertains to unconstitutional forms such as race, religion, age, etc. It's a much broader term than that. Discrimination against snowboarders isn't illegal but it still qualifies as discrimination under its technical definition. I understand that the prosecution is trying to make the case that it is illegal but they're idiots and that's why the suit will fail. Alta, MRG, and Deer Valley have every right to limit the types of equipment used at their resort. If they want to exclude a large demographic for whatever lame reasons they have, that's their prerogative. But I still maintain that they are douchebags for doing it. I'm perfectly fine taking my money elsewhere.

xlr8r

It just making up controversy for publicity. If there were plenty of areas that still dd not allow boarding, I could understand their point. But there are hundreds of ski areas in the US, and only three do not allow boarding, Just Three!!!. Whats the big deal. There are plenty of other options for boarders. Anyway, right next to Alta is Snowbird, right next to Deer Valley is Park City, and right next to Mad River, is Sugarbush. This is just an example of trying to cause controversy over nothing.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here's the difference. That golf course holds one of the premier golf tournaments in big TV money ( think advertisement $$ ) sports.
Alta, MRG and DV barely make a mention in the floundering SKI mag industry.

Whoa, gotta disagree on this point. Count how many ads and pictures feature Alta terrain in POWDER the next time you get a chance. You won't believe it. And Deer Valley has many ads and is in the ski resort reviews/surveys all the time. Finally, there is almost always at least one token MRG article every season in SKI/SKIING. Or there used to be....

Lots of attention, hence why the ban is still an issue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
If you're a boarder, you just don't like to be excluded. Period. It's not nice.

But that doesn't make it discrimination.

Some places have dress code. You can't just walk in: "no shirt, no shoes, no service!" Exclusive, but not discrimination.

Some mountains will not allow snowboards. You want to slide around at Alta, slide on skis!

It's their dress code. No skis, no lift. You can't walk up to a lift, even if you have a lift ticket. Nor can you get on a lift if you only got snowboard.

Discrimination against boarding? Sure! Discrimination against shoes? Suuuuuureee...!!!

Exactly. The lawsuit can only challenge legal wrongs or, in this case, unconstitutional discrimination.

And I'm going to :stirpot: here for the hell of it because I see a lot of folks saying that any kind of discrimination or selecting who and who not to associate with is wrong. Come on guys. Get off the high (moral) horse. We all discriminate EVERY DAY. It's just a fact of life. Specifically, we all avoid the homeless guy outside the Dunkin Donuts, we invite some folks to our house but not others, we avoid the Jehovahs Witness or door-to-door salespeople, we say nasty things to telemarketers, we avoid some folks because of how they dress and hang out with others because of how they look. It's completely human nature; it's how we survive.

Now we have determined that it is illegal to discriminate against certain classes and that's fine. But some still don't do that.

So to anyone who sings koombayah and doesn't choose who to associate with, I call BS.

jaybird

On a lift yesterday, somebody mentioned that MRG ran a condition report earlier this week.
They were closed at the time and reported that there was 'no skiing today'.
They went on to proclaim that, although no skiing was unfortunate, there was also NO SNOWBOARDING !

MRG is a Co-op, much different from Alta. They make and stand behind their own decisions.
It might be different had the early snowboarders not pissed Betsy off with their antics.
That dug her heels in pretty good, and the Co-op has maintained that position.

Don't much care about what happens at Alta. It's not the best terrain for boarding.
Only grinding material there would be on lift towers, dolomite and conifers.
Those are not the most tantalizing of all elements.

deadheadskier

Staff member
MRG is entitled to do what they want and I'm entitled to think their being dicks for maintaining the ban on snowboarding. God Bless Betsy for all she's done, but she really needs to grow up and get over the spat she had with boarders what? 20 years ago. Totally immature to still hold that grudge and for the Co-op members to support it.

I'll still go there when I can because I love the terrain.

abc

MRG is entitled to do what they want and I'm entitled to think their being dicks for maintaining the ban on snowboarding. God Bless Betsy for all she's done, but she really needs to grow up and get over the spat she had with boarders what? 20 years ago. Totally immature to still hold that grudge and for the Co-op members to support it.

MRG got into the snowboarding ban "accidentally".

But the co-op had since realized the accidental ban had created a unique product that's desirable to skiers. So the ban stands, now on their own merit.

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

I still don't get this "discrimination" piece. Race, religion? Excluding on that basis is discrimination.

But not allowing an inanimate object is now discrimination? Lets not forget, we are banning the piece of equipment, NOT the person. Like it's been said, any person can use Alta if they are on ski's. Doesn't matter if you're black, white, Jewish, etc.

If this suit actually passes, can I sue Alta for not letting me use a snowmobile on their slopes? What about sueing 7-11 for not letting me walk into their store on a hot summer day with just a pair of shorts?

abc

In the early days of mtn biking, I got pissed about majority of hiking trails banning bikes (and admit to poaching them). But a couple decades later, there're now much better designed mtn bike trails to ride legally, I leave the hiking trails alone.

I wish snowboarders as a group can grow up and realize they have plenty of better place to ride and leave the like of Alta/MRG alone:

Don't much care about what happens at Alta. It's not the best terrain for boarding.
Only grinding material there would be on lift towers, dolomite and conifers.
Those are not the most tantalizing of all elements.

lerops

Look if a friggin' golf course can do this:

Then the ski areas that are hold outs can do the same! In the famous words of Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

I believe women can use the services offered by Alta, DV and MRG the same way men can.

lerops

This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

And the Libertarian thing always gets lumped into a general "anti government everything" vibe. Yeah sure maybe for loonbats, but most Libertarians realize that some services (like water, sewer, roads) are public utilities. Libertarianism isn't all free state bullshit.

Anywho, my libertarian nature comment is more on the live and let live side of things than an anti-government intrusion stance in this specific situation.

Libertarianism isn't about "anti government everything". Neither it is about "free to do everything".

I understand feeling bad about this. But throwing big words like discrimination, freedom, etc. diminishes the importance of the issues for which people fight to gain liberties.

SnowRock

Exactly Instead of being snarky about how they don't allow snowboarders, perhaps they should spend some time in the offseason thinking about a way they might manage to stay open during peak season. But hey who needs customers.

I could care less that I am not allowed to snowboard at these three places... My list of spots to visits is plenty long without them. To me the bans are holdovers kept in place largely by a bunch of pretentious dbags who must still think snowboarders are all punks... To pretend it's anything else is silly.

abc

I could care less that I am not allowed to snowboard at these three places... My list of spots to visits is plenty long without them. To me the bans are holdovers kept in place largely by a bunch of pretentious dbags who must still think snowboarders are all punks... To pretend it's anything else is silly.
So it's a holdover. So whose business is that but the owners?

You said you couldn't care less. But some of your brothers care so much they bring a lawsuit. Isn't it a waste of time? "when the list of spots to visits is plenty long without them"!

Hypocritical bunch of punks. ;)

Last edited:

SnowRock

So it's a holdover. So whose business is that but the owners?

You said you couldn't care less. But some of your brothers care so much they bring a lawsuit. Isn't it a waste of time? "when the list of spots to visits is plenty long without them"!

Hypocritical bunch of punks. :flame:

My brothers? This is likely a publicity stunt by someone who owns a company. Just because I snowboard are you suggesting I have some deeper bond with the folks that filed suit?

Have you found snowboarders across the country standing up and fighting this issue? I'd say the majority would struggle to name the three resorts it's still banned at. No one cares.

Also I have no issue with them running their business the way they see fit. It doesn't mean I have to agree with the ban. It's silly and appeals to the ostentatious type that believes sliding on snow with 2 planks somehow makes them a better person.

I'd see if they can get that dress code thing going... Kjus or Bogner can be their shirt and tie and then even the tall tee new schoolers on skis won't mess up the mountain.

SnowRock

They may have a point. :stirpot:

Yeah none of us are house trained. Obviously if you ski you must have gone to finishing school and are a regular reader of Judith Martin.

I didn't realize the whole ski vs snowboard thing was still a thing but I guess some folks are stuck in the mid 90s.

MadMadWorld

It was ridiculous and got blown out of proportion anyways.

twinplanx

I'm pretty sure the ban at MRG is bigger then Betsy. I am almost positive that the issue regularly comes up at shareholder meetings. So go ahead knuckle-dragers start buying some shares. I'm sure you will make lots of friends...

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk