• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Taos to Build Chairlift to Kachina Peak

AlpineZone News

Skiing News
Website
www.alpinezone.com
New Mexico ski resort to significantly increase access to advanced terrain with installation of one of the highest lifts in North America TAOS, N.M., Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire/ — Taos Ski Valley today announced that beginning in 2014 – 2015 ski season, visitors will be able to access the mountain’s celebrated Kachina Peak via a... Read the full review »

[h=3]Related posts:[/h]
  1. Blake Family Sells Taos Ski Valley to Conservationist Louis Bacon
  2. Scenic Fall Foliage Chairlift Rides at Ski Butternut
  3. Sugarloaf to open new Skyline chairlift on Saturday, Dec. 17

More...

Cornhead

This is very cool, Kachina Peak is a hike, 45 minutes I was told. I didn't ski it when I skied Taos, but would have if there were a lift servicing it. I'll definitely have to get back there now. It will increase the expert terrain by 50%, outstanding!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This is very cool, Kachina Peak is a hike, 45 minutes I was told. I didn't ski it when I skied Taos, but would have if there were a lift servicing it. I'll definitely have to get back there now. It will increase the expert terrain by 50%, outstanding!

I've never been...but they are not adding terrain per se....just making their existing terrain lift serviced. I would imagine that not everyone is happy...as now their favorite stashes are going to get tracked out quickly. However, I believe the new owner seems to be just what the ski area needed to be able to keep up and modernize yet still keep everything that makes the place, from what I hear, have an awesome vibe with first-class terrain.

skiNEwhere

Heard this news a couple of days ago. I'll echo what marcski says in that I bet the locals won't be happy

Cornhead

Yeah, I bet they're pissed, but as a visitor it is appealing, maybe that's why they're doing it. Taos is remote, I love skiing in NM, I've skied Santa Fe, and Pajarito also.

snoseek

Whoa, this is a very big deal! Taos is looking to compete with a lift serving terrain like that. I'm secretly a little excited about making laps on Kachina next time I visit although a little sad it may not be the pow as we know it...that terrain though. All you guys/girls that like to be challenged with steep, techy bumpy Au natural terrain owe this place a visit. Book last minute if you can...DIA is doable with a cheap rental car if trying to do it on a budget. Definitely go there

snoseek

Yeah, I bet they're pissed, but as a visitor it is appealing, maybe that's why they're doing it. Taos is remote, I love skiing in NM, I've skied Santa Fe, and Pajarito also.

Yep, those two places are fun as hell too! I was really surprised at how much fun there was to be had at both areas. Pajarito is a trip, love little areas that deliver like that

skiNEwhere

I saw Taos at the Denver ski expo and I joking told the lady in the booth that they should bring back the snowboarding ban, and she proceeded to tell me how it was the best move they made, they said before the ban the AVERAGE age of a skier was 55. I find that hard to believe, but then she told me the average skier/boarder is in the early 30's and their revenue is much higher.

While I'm sure this will piss off a few locals, money talks and I'm sure they'll be getting more Colorado skiers in (including this one)

snoseek

I saw Taos at the Denver ski expo and I joking told the lady in the booth that they should bring back the snowboarding ban, and she proceeded to tell me how it was the best move they made, they said before the ban the AVERAGE age of a skier was 55. I find that hard to believe, but then she told me the average skier/boarder is in the early 30's and their revenue is much higher.

While I'm sure this will piss off a few locals, money talks and I'm sure they'll be getting more Colorado skiers in (including this one)

Dude, you need to get your ass down there on their next storm. Just trust me on this. Take pics!

skiNEwhere

Might be possible the first week of February. Just need someone to watch the dogs. We shall see

It's about a 6 hour drive for me

Cornhead

Yep, those two places are fun as hell too! I was really surprised at how much fun there was to be had at both areas. Pajarito is a trip, love little areas that deliver like that

I stayed in Santa Fe, so skied there the most. Pajarito is cool, it's kinda freaky driving through the birthplace of The Bomb to get there. Must be why it's there. Weird driving through the checkpoint at the lab, like a toll booth. My buddy told me there are usually guards there with M16's, never been anyone there in the couple passes I've made through. They were affected by the fire there a couple Summers ago. Reminded me a little of Belleayre, the way the trails all drop down from the ridge line. Great bumps when I skied it, where's the icy troughs? Kind of an MRG/Platty vibe to the place.

Santa Fe is awesome by Eastern standards, but gets lost in the shuffle out West, Rodney Dangerfield. Nice trees, you can ski the backside down to a spot on the access road, there's a gate at the top, wasn't open when I was there, probably pretty fun though, have to leave a car, or try and snag a ride back up the hill. The views from the top are spectacular, I think you can see Colorado on a clear day.

I got a friend of my Sister back on the snow at Santa Fe after a 15 yr hiatus. He did buy equipment a couple years ago, but he didn't catch the bug. I was jealous of him, retired, million dollar home in Santa Fe, can ski for free at Santa Fe 12 miles up the mountain. Sounds sweet to me, what a waste! He's offered to let me stay with him if I go back out to ski. My Sister house sits for people in Santa Fe occasionally, we stayed in a house she was house sitting on my last visit, it was awesome, much better than a hotel/motel.

jimk

Very cool that you skied Pajarito. I almost went there about 20 years ago while on a biz trip to Los Alamos Nat'l Lab. I snuck in a little skiing on that trip, but only had time to do Taos for one day and Ski Santa Fe for half day. Some of the people at LANL were really proud of Pajarito and talked about it like shareholders do about MRG.
I returned to Taos in 2012 for a couple days. It has world class advanced terrain and because of cheap lodging in town of Taos is reasonable compared to many other big name places. I think the new lift will be great and while the new owner may bring some changes the place needed help and he sounds like a good fit. Because of the terrain, vibe, affordability and weather Taos is among a handful of places I've been to that I'd be content at if it was the only place I could ever ski for the rest of my days.
Kachina Peak is to the upper left in this picture from 2012. They tell me it has routes that are only single black diamond in difficulty and should attract a good percent of their guests:
kachina peak.jpg

skiNEwhere

Locals are never happy. That's why they're locals.

Good point. But they were probably content. Honestly where else are they gonna go? Not like they have many choices. Only other place I can think of nearby is angelfire.

snoseek

It may be old news but now they actually have money to pay for it and get it done. Kind of like if Saddleback gets bought maybe they can add all the lifts they have had planned for years.
Yes, all talk until this point, typical resort fantasyland. Now it's actually gonna happen and IMO this is a very big deal for Taos.