• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Pattern Has Arrived - Will it Bring Snow?

xwhaler

Well after this southern screamer, its time to turn our attention to Saturday. Looks like 2-4 for the ski areas right now, maybe more over Northern New England.

ETA: Monday also looks interesting for us skiers as well.

What are you thinking for Saturday? Specifically Western ME....I'm heading up Friday night for turns at Saddleback on Saturday, Loaf Sunday.

What are you thinking for Saturday? Specifically Western ME....I'm heading up Friday night for turns at Saddleback on Saturday, Loaf Sunday.

I haven't really checked yet and timing wise its still a moving target (either Saturday or Saturday night). Don't know too much, but the word on the street is an average of 2-4 inches for most of NNE. Of course, the usual suspects will get more but snow, but in general it should be soft and fluffy at most places this weekend. Wish I could head up somewhere, but it looks like I'm still stuck at home until my ribs heal. Enjoy!

skifree

I haven't really checked yet and timing wise its still a moving target (either Saturday or Saturday night). Don't know too much, but the word on the street is an average of 2-4 inches for most of NNE. Of course, the usual suspects will get more but snow, but in general it should be soft and fluffy at most places this weekend. Wish I could head up somewhere, but it looks like I'm still stuck at home until my ribs heal. Enjoy!
can you make it snow this Friday?

BenedictGomez

Could it be that they are just reporting the Tuesday snow, but not the Tuesday night yet?

Nope.

Someone on the NW edge of this type of a storm system always gets screwed with substantially lower snow totals than those around them.

Think of it like a pie chart with two bits: 88% and 12%, and the 12% is like a Pacman mouth open to the NW. Well, that's where the Poconos was for this storm. I swear they always get snow-screwed.

Funny.....I was taking friday off,changed it to monday instead !! Hope I made the right descision....:blink:

Definitely the right choice, in fact both the GFS and the Euro are showing another coastal storm on Monday! That one also looks good for ski country.

Choo Choo, the storm train's coming through!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Nope.

Someone on the NW edge of this type of a storm system always gets screwed with substantially lower snow totals than those around them.

Think of it like a pie chart with two bits: 88% and 12%, and the 12% is like a Pacman mouth open to the NW. Well, that's where the Poconos was for this storm. I swear they always get snow-screwed.

This is true. I live in the eastern most fringe of the Lehigh Valley, and it's a snow hole. Always lower totals than the towns around me. I'd say I got 5", max from this storm. Some parts of my driveway were windblown down to the pavement.

BenedictGomez

I see snow for Roxury NY on Saturday anyone know how much?

Per the GFS, very little. Maybe a few inches, and it woudlnt start until mid-day Saturday so no real effect for skiing that day.

They got about 3" from the storm yesterday according to NWS.

Wavewheeler

Philly gets 13" and the Poconos gets 3"? Bah, Humbug! :thumbdown:

I'm seeing snow up north on Saturday. If anything happens Monday PLEASE let it be up north because that is where I moved all my work to because of yesterday's storm! At this rate I won't be able to afford to go skiing! :(

I hate the fact that my livelihood is negatively affected by snow because I love snow but it really complicates things work-wise :(. Snow up north is the best scenario! I have to drive anyway.

Couple of years and I'm moving to where snow isn't a problem but a blessing.

catsup948

I like the looks of Monday's storm for Maine more than western new england. It seems to blow up on thr maine coast per the 12z gfs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Doesn't look to be a coastal storm down here (thank goodness) but going north instead.

Unless something changes, it's pretty meh in general for even the areas that get the most of it. Unless the cold temps can wring out a decent ratio I dont see how anyone would get more than 4" or 5" at most.

BenedictGomez

The first 10 days of February on the gfs is so epic. None of it will verify I'm sure.

It seems the GFS stinks for northeastern winter storms until the storm is just a few days out, at which point, you're just happy it's in-line and finally agreeing with other models.

mriceyman

Something will verify. When in great patterns like this something will happen. Dont look at each storm as modeled but look at all the ingredients that can lead to big storms. Im a plower from cnj so looking at the next month is making my pockets fat( hoping so at least). I am hoping at least a couple storms track north so ski country can get in on the fun. Strattons glades were a little hairy last weekend lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

catsup948

Monday is going to be windy. It's always windy in northern new england in the winter. Any light snow that falls is going to be blowing around. Into casablanca? Brackett Basin? I will be at both mountains in a couple weeks!

catsup948

Something will verify. When in great patterns like this something will happen. Dont look at each storm as modeled but look at all the ingredients that can lead to big storms. Im a plower from cnj so looking at the next month is making my pockets fat( hoping so at least). I am hoping at least a couple storms track north so ski country can get in on the fun. Strattons glades were a little hairy last weekend lol

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

That week just looks good for a big storm