• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Winter Pattern Has Arrived - Will it Bring Snow?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Very good. This is when an inland runner triple points at just the right time (Its cold front catches up to the warm front, cutting off the moisture and begins to weaken the system) and transfers its energy to a secondary coastal low off of the Mid Atlantic. These are usually snowy systems for us. (Think December 27, 2013, that was a classic Miller B)

BE WARNED: When Miller B's are modeled this far out, they very well could become a cutting rainstorm if the transfer doesn't occur at the right time.

I think the only fair thing that can be said right now is, "that the pattern is very favorable for a large storm system to move out of the southern states." (stolen from AmericanWx)

Wavewheeler

Where is it snowing now? The south. :thumbdown: The farthest north it's coming is the southern NJ shore. They might get 5". We might get an inch where I live tonight and of course north and west get ZILCH.

Where am I heading in tomorrow and Thursday? North and west. :(

ScottySkis

Honestly if western maine does not get some snow before next weekend I would be shocked and angry! Snow!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It be great to be at this huge hill with everyone from here. Real snow would just make it even better.

BenedictGomez

If the long-range temp prediction pans out, we should be okay for February.

The January one was pretty solid.

BfV1e01CQAIvSrF.png:large

BenedictGomez

GFS 8-day predictive snowfall totals.

These aren't terribly reliable, but they do give you a hint of at least the POTENTIAL for decent snowfall.

In other words, while the fact this map looks so sexy doesnt mean it's going to happen like this, if this map was empty that would be a bad thing.

Like McDonalds, I'm lovin' it!

BfbRO9DCEAE5bb9.jpg:large

BenedictGomez

36 hours later, and the GFS long-range is still showing nuked up snow totals.

Not only that, its actually increased!

PLEASE VERIFY!
:fangun:

BfjAq-WCAAAHWOX.png:large

4aprice

Don't like this forecast. Too much snow in the backyard and not enough to the north. Oh well.

I think the north will get theirs coming up soon. In the mean time, medium hills down here are doing fine. Its one of those years where the Pocono's, Catskills and Berkshires are shining right now. Take a detour out this way (don't know how far you are from the Berkshires) and by the time you get back VT/NH will be ramping up for the spring8). Excuse the excitement but when we get good skiing like this in the day trip range you got to take advantage of it.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ