• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Thin cover, do you ski/ride it?

SkiFanE

People throw skis out. If skis are secondary, as you say, you should be able to find skis just about anywhere.

Okay..maybe that's an exaggeration. Have to have decent bindings, 5years old or less and be a SL ski that still has edges left to sharpen. Racer's old skis are what I like best. And I don't dumpster dive :wink:

drjeff

Okay..maybe that's an exaggeration. Have to have decent bindings, 5years old or less and be a SL ski that still has edges left to sharpen. Racer's old skis are what I like best. And I don't dumpster dive :wink:

The funny thing about dumpster diving and old skis, is in the complex where my place at Mount Snow, literally every weekend during ski season you'll see a pair or 2 of circa 1980's/early 90's 200+ cm, often with some neon colors on them old skis that are leaning on the 30 yard dumpster/compactor for the complex that someone threw out that weekend! I often thing about grabbing a pair or 2 to use in future ski chairs! :) And about 3 or 4 weekends a season, you'll also see a pair of rear entry boots being thrown out sitting next to the dumpster too!

My end of the weekend trip down to the dumpster to get rid of my empty "beer conquests" from the weekend often turns into a trip down old ski memory lane, and has me thinking of such 80's ski film classics as Blizzard of Ah's with all the long, straight, neon on display! :)

MadMadWorld

The funny thing about dumpster diving and old skis, is in the complex where my place at Mount Snow, literally every weekend during ski season you'll see a pair or 2 of circa 1980's/early 90's 200+ cm, often with some neon colors on them old skis that are leaning on the 30 yard dumpster/compactor for the complex that someone threw out that weekend! I often thing about grabbing a pair or 2 to use in future ski chairs! :) And about 3 or 4 weekends a season, you'll also see a pair of rear entry boots being thrown out sitting next to the dumpster too!

My end of the weekend trip down to the dumpster to get rid of my empty "beer conquests" from the weekend often turns into a trip down old ski memory lane, and has me thinking of such 80's ski film classics as Blizzard of Ah's with all the long, straight, neon on display! :)

I found a nice old pair of Tyrolia skis in a random back office today at work. 200 + cm....White with neon pink lettering. Wanted to take them home badly. I didn't even know Tyrolia was in the ski business. I thought they stuck to bindings.

KD7000

I enjoy the thin cover trails. I don't own any rocks skis (or rock boards) but the older my gear gets, the less emotionally attached I become to it. So this year I've boarded over some logs, rocks, dirt patches, and some other crap I might have avoided the first year or two.

jenychen

It seems hard to judge what 'thin cover' actually means too until you go down the trail.

Was at Sierra in Tahoe back in December, and took a trail marked thin cover -- though essentially the entire mountain was thin cover because there's been no snow... :/ Aside from some patches of dirt here and there, it was actually quite nice. And like everyone said, less crowded, and actually with more snow than the busier trails.

But then! Went to Canyons a week later, took another thin cover trail, and that was ALL ICE. It was terrible. Win some, lose some I guess.

Dirt = A-OK
Ice = Makes me wanna cry

HD333

Same thing up at Okemo. We almost grabbed some as a joke around Christmas for my Bro In who still skis on some vintage red white and blue K2's from at least the 90's.

Thin Cover sign = give it a shot for me. Worse case I need a new board or skis after the run, I am always looking for an excuse.

Cornhead

If your skis are a little long in the tooth, don't hesitate to take a chance to ski some "interesting" terrain. Ski shops can do wonders.
uploadfromtaptalk1390526704543.jpg
BEFORE

uploadfromtaptalk1390526740275.jpg
AFTER

$27 at my local shop in Binghamton, NY, Berger's. I'm bringing my tech some brews next time I stop in.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

MadMadWorld

If your skis are a little long in the tooth, don't hesitate to take a chance to ski some "interesting" terrain. Ski shops can do wonders.
View attachment 10543
BEFORE

View attachment 10544
AFTER

$27 at my local shop in Binghamton, NY, Berger's. I'm bringing my tech some brews next time I stop in.

Looks really good! Are the spaces between the PTEX and edge filled in tight?

Cheese

It all comes down to how many sweet turns you need to make a run worth it. If I can link 3-6 good turns on a trail it's probably worth the risk of hitting something gnarly. I've been known to catch 3-6 good turns and have to hike out afterwards. Just like skiing avi areas, don't finish the turns and bad things generally don't happen. Cut hard or slam on the brakes and you may be base welding for a while.

Cornhead

Looks really good! Are the spaces between the PTEX and edge filled in tight?

Yes, hopefully no moister was trapped beneath the repair. I will always keep the repaired edge to the outside to minimize stress on it. Theses skis are near the end of their useful life. I've got approximately 150 days on them. The bases are getting thin, they'll be delegated to powder/rock ski status soon. I'm glad my shop could buy me some time to acquire their replacements.

MadMadWorld

Yes, hopefully no moister was trapped beneath the repair. I will always keep the repaired edge to the outside to minimize stress on it. Theses skis are near the end of their useful life. I've got approximately 150 days on them. The bases are getting thin, they'll be delegated to powder/rock ski status soon. I'm glad my shop could buy me some time to acquire their replacements.

Well for $27 it's worth the gamble!

jrmagic

If they are near the end of their useful life I wouldn't sweat the moisture if its there as it would take time for any core damage from the moisture to be meaningful

Smellytele

View attachment 10543
BEFORE

View attachment 10544
AFTER

I may have to rethink what is repairable after seeing that side blow out repair.

crank

Shops can vary in what they take on. I had a K2 TRC with a blowout like that. Took it to my local shop they said you need a new ski we can't fix that. Took it to another place and they fixed it. I forget how much I paid but I think it was more than $27. It looked almost exactly like Cornhead's blowout.

jrmagic

Shops can vary in what they take on. I had a K2 TRC with a blowout like that. Took it to my local shop they said you need a new ski we can't fix that. Took it to another place and they fixed it. I forget how much I paid but I think it was more than $27. It looked almost exactly like Cornhead's blowout.
True and some shoos shouldn't take on certain tasks. I had a similar edge blowout though it was bent closer to 45 degrees. The shop decided to cut it out and then weld a new piece to replace it. There were no guarantees made by the shop so I'm not faulting them but the fix lasted one day on the hill.

DPhelan

$27 is low for that type of repair, and the issue is that there is no way to guarantee that it will hold. It's not worth the time and effort for a tech to perform that repair, and then have the customer come back, piss and moan that the repair didn't hold, and demand that they get a refund or something else for free.

Cheese

View attachment 10543
BEFORE

View attachment 10544
AFTER

Toss that ski in the dumpster Cornhead, it's not worth the risk. Edges are thin, sharp and only safe when properly fastened and connected tip to tail. If an edge breaks, splits or separates it can become a dangerous weapon to you or anyone around you. Slicing, dicing and puncturing can happen when an edge comes free. You don't want that to happen anywhere near delicate human flesh. It's not that reputable shops are worried their repair won't hold, they're worried someone will sustain serious injury when the repair lets go.