• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe announces new Adventure Center, ice skating, underground parking

steamboat1

I wonder if there are plans in the future to replace the Mountain triple with a HSQ. The lift is fine as is, but that extra capacity could draw down some of the lines on the Forerunner.

That and upgrading the Mansfield base lodge are really the only improvements to the skiing experience the mountain still "needs". In terms of lifts, snowmaking, grooming and amenities, Stowe is just about as finished of a product as there is in the east.

I don't think they can replace the Mansfield Base Lodge. Some kind of historical significance. I'm sure if they could have they would have already done so.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think you are correct. Not suggesting a replacement, just an upgrade of some sort. If the historical restrictions are too strict and they can't add on to the Mansfield lodge, then perhaps a second lodge built over by the Over Easy terminal makes sense. Day skiers could access both the gondola and the forerunner from that location.

steamboat1

Parking is already limited on the Mansfield side. I don't see a new base lodge helping with that. The present base lodge seems to be ample for the amount of skiers able to park there now. They are adding additional parking on the Mansfield side this year. They are presently extending the lot further out on the road that you exit the parking lot from. From what I could see the size of the additional parking won't make a significant difference with the parking situation, especially with public parking at Spruce being closed. I think they will be using the two large maintenance lots on either side of the road when you first turn into the gondola & Mansfield lots for parking this year. The Over Easy gondola will be getting quite a work out this year shuttling people from Mansfield over to Spruce & back. By the way the Mansfield parking lot is now completely paved with striped parking spots, no more dirt/gravel.

steamboat1

On weekend's and holidays, I completely disagree.

That goes for any ski area. Killington even with it's five base lodges gets extremely crowded on weekends from what I've heard. You can't even find a seat in the new Peak Lodge on weekends/holidays (that's six lodges). Not to mention you can also eat at Anna's Panada's at Needles, Sunrise Cafe at Sunrise or the Yurt off the Middle Brook & Snowshed chairs (that's nine on mountain lodges). Stowe with only two parking areas as opposed to Killingtons five already has five places to eat on mountain (not including the restaurants in the Spruce hotel or the additional eating venues planned for the new plaza). Like I said I think that's plenty ample. Fortunately for me I don't get to see the overcrowding since I mainly only ski weekdays during non-holiday periods.

mbedle

The Mansfield base lodge will never be updated to much. It on the historical register. Plus, I like it rough and laid back.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

mbedle

The Mansfield base lodge will never be updated to much. It on the historical register. Plus, I like it rough and laid back.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Actually, the comment about a second lodge near the over easy would be nice. Does anyone know if they have some kind of master development plan for the land on mansfield side?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I often wonder why they chose to put the Midway lodge where it is, instead of something down near the base of the Gondola.

Midway Lodge is usually where I start my day at Stowe. It's nice to have ski in / ski out access to those parking lots; best ski area parking in the east IMO. That said, the parking is so limited that if you get there after 8:30 on a weekend, you won't find a spot. Hence, why everyone piles into the MBL and it can be a congested mad house. There simply isn't enough space in that building to handle all the ski bags nor are there enough seats for people to start their day or have lunch comfortably on busy days.

I imagine with the parking restrictions steamboat mentions at Spruce for the upcoming winter, the congestion at MBL will be exasperated even further. That will be a turn off for folks arriving by car and paying $98 a day to ski there.

mbedle

I think the reason the gondola base lodge is up the hill a bit, is because the old gondola bottom terminal was at that location. When they installed the new gondola, they extended it down to the current location.

I often wonder why they chose to put the Midway lodge where it is, instead of something down near the base of the Gondola.

Midway Lodge is usually where I start my day at Stowe. It's nice to have ski in / ski out access to those parking lots; best ski area parking in the east IMO. That said, the parking is so limited that if you get there after 8:30 on a weekend, you won't find a spot. Hence, why everyone piles into the MBL and it can be a congested mad house. There simply isn't enough space in that building to handle all the ski bags nor are there enough seats for people to start their day or have lunch comfortably on busy days.

I imagine with the parking restrictions steamboat mentions at Spruce for the upcoming winter, the congestion at MBL will be exasperated even further. That will be a turn off for folks arriving by car and paying $98 a day to ski there.

WoodCore

Maybe they should develop the Toll Road base area. Should be ample room for parking and with a new high speed connector lift and lodge the problem is solved.

mbedle

Not much space down there for parking, plus the ride back to your car is brutal. They could tear down the old tennis courts! I was up there for the month of February this year and did really notice any parking problems on the weekends. However, with parking limited this year on the spruce side, it might get pretty bad on the Mansfield side. Hopefully, they will get the word out to renters along 108 and in Stowe, that it might be better to take the shuttle to the resort, than drive.

Maybe they should develop the Toll Road base area. Should be ample room for parking and with a new high speed connector lift and lodge the problem is solved.

steamboat1

If there is a problem parking it will only be for this coming season. No need for a high speed lift at Toll house. I'm sure they have it all figured out.

mbedle

Just got an email and apparently they completed the Gondola rehab and also replaced the Alpine and East Street Doubles, with a new Meadows Quad. I thought I recently read a post from someone checking out the activities at the resort and they didn't see anything going on with the chair replacement.

steamboat1

Just got an email and apparently they completed the Gondola rehab and also replaced the Alpine and East Street Doubles, with a new Meadows Quad. I thought I recently read a post from someone checking out the activities at the resort and they didn't see anything going on with the chair replacement.
A liftie back in July told me Alpine will be replaced with a carpet loading quad chair & Easy Street with an enclosed magic carpet lift. Looked like they were excavating for the magic carpet lift when I was there.

KD7000

If there is a problem parking it will only be for this coming season. No need for a high speed lift at Toll house. I'm sure they have it all figured out.
How about at least a medium speed lift? That thing is slower than death.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like the new haul rope is up with the refurbished cabins:

10688266_10152262367612382_7745255431212774828_o.jpg

Looks good.

mbedle

Finally, I don't have to bring the board into the gondola. Was a pain in the ass when you are ridding on a 170 alpine board.