• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of February 2nd, storm speculation

skiberg

Check with Fairbanks, but my recollection was prior to the little bit of snow we had in late winter last year NEK had gone 700 days without recording a 6 inch snow event. I don't think we have had more than a couple since late February last year over 6 inches, that's how I came up with the 100 days. In any event whether its 2 events or 6 its staggering.

ChicoKat

Bernie at Accuweather is saying this one could track west of New England bringing "significant" icing to Northern N.E. He is all over another storm weekend of 2/8. He seems a bit dramatic.

BenedictGomez

1-3 feet next week? Again, I'll believe it when I ski it!

A foot is absolutely possible for sure, maybe two, who knows. Three feet? Hate to say it, but I sure hope Tim Kelley's ebullient snowptimism this season doesn't have anything to do with him now working with the ski industry. I didnt know who he was until I joined this board, but I realize he's a popular met if you live up in NE and his forecasts are enjoyable.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Updated for today. You feeling a little better about the artistic efforts?

Do I have your attention yet?

hazards_d3_7_contours.png

Can you say Miller B?

(Well this is more of an SWFE, but it becomes a weak Miller B towards the end. That late developing secondary low saves our a$$)

BenedictGomez

Now 2/7-2/9 is looking promising on several models! Long ways out but something to keep an eye on....

Its been on all 3 major models for a few days now. The odds are something is going to happen somewhere. But just where and just how big is the million dollar question.

Wavewheeler

Maine certainly needs it. I'm sure Sugarloaf isn't much better than where I live but we had 7 inches of snow all of January with no more than 2 at a shot. At least one of those was so windy I doubt it stuck around too long. Hopefully the last half of the season makes up for it.

I'd love to send you the 15" of snow we got here at the beach last week. That storm cost me $200 in lost revenue. :( Plus, this past Tuesday night, south of here got 5" and I got 2" here. What a waste. :(

mikestaple

What about this weekend? Specifically Sunday. It looks like it is going to be a mix with immature snow all the way up to Franconia. Really?! Another cold spell snapped with rain in the mountains?!?! All those Super Bowl lift tickets deals just to ski in r*in.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Here is what NOAA is saying about this weekend at 3550 at Killington: Not great but not a washout

• Saturday A 50 percent chance of snow, mainly after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a southwest wind 13 to 18 mph increasing to 21 to 26 mph in the afternoon. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Saturday Night Snow and sleet likely, becoming all sleet after midnight. Cloudy, with a low around 18. Breezy, with a south wind 20 to 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow and sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.
  • Sunday A slight chance of snow showers before 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. South wind 15 to 17 mph becoming west in the afternoon.

BenedictGomez

GFS for Sunday (which is what the US government forecasts go on) the rain/snow line bisects Vermont almost in half, on a diagonal line from SW to NE (i.e. / ).

NAM for Sunday has Vermont completely in rain on Saturday night, then completely below 32 by Sunday morning at 6am, with snow also at that time probably till late morning.

Canadian for Sunday is VERY similar to the GFS, r/s cuts through Vermont on same SW to NE line, but a bit further south.

Is there snow on the ground in Vermont right now everything (i.e. places other than ski resorts)? The models dont take into account cold air damning so hopefully that r/s line will be a touch lower than depicted.

ScottySkis

I think I'm glad I went yesterday. Everything I looked at this past week predicted warmer and wetter starting this weekend.:(

I know I just hopefully it not to much rai%. I ski anyway always go on Superbowl Sunday some where. Plus finally will get to meet Jim from here look foward to that to