• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing with a Drone

skiNEwhere

It's official

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1426278506.646771.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1426278483.314500.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1426278483.314500.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 115

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I would say they cannot prohibit drones piloted by someone not on their property.
Most Ski Areas would fall under Class G or E http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_class_(United_States)
Until FAA has a final ruling , they don't own the airspace.
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/sp_awcert/experiment/sac/
Looks like registration will be in the works
Another interesting story about local law not knowing the law
http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/breach-of-peace-improperly-arrested-for-flying-a-glid-458406629

Last edited:

Scruffy

If a private drone flies over my house at low altitude levels, and within bird shot range, and is unauthorized to enter my air space and take pictures, my shotgun will control my airspace.

hiroto

Wow, pretty impressive. It is interesting that in addition to "Follow" mode, it has "Lead" mode to fly ahead of the subject and shoots back. The video shows short example of that for kayaking - I wonder how well does that work for skiing/boarding.

dlague

Wow, pretty impressive. It is interesting that in addition to "Follow" mode, it has "Lead" mode to fly ahead of the subject and shoots back. The video shows short example of that for kayaking - I wonder how well does that work for skiing/boarding.

The current design is intended to be used in open spaces. The next generation will have obstacle detection build to avoid objects. So for now it would work only in wide open areas for skiing and snowboarding as demonstrated in the video (one of the first scenes). However there are some ski areas that are already banning them.

mbedle

This will never fly at a ski resort. Even if it did have a collision detection system, it has a maximum speed of 25mph and is not under any control by the owner. There are many times when a skier maybe going faster then that speed. If the owner ends up going faster then 25MPH, they may end up losing the device.

Domeskier

This will never fly at a ski resort. Even if it did have a collision detection system, it has a maximum speed of 25mph and is not under any control by the owner. There are many times when a skier maybe going faster then that speed. If the owner ends up going faster then 25MPH, they may end up losing the device.

I hear a Tuna Speed edition is currently in the works.