• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feb 7 -9 Snow Forecasting (or) AlpineZone Summit Powder?

fbrissette

What's a weather analog

It's a case from the historical past where atmospheric conditions (as defined by several spatialized variables such as wind speed, specific humidity, pressure, temps etc) were very similar to current conditions.

The closer the analogue, the closest you can expect the present outcome to match the outcome of the historical period (analogue).

However, as with numerical models, lack of actual observations of atmospheric conditions coupled with the chaotic nature of the climate system renders long-term forecasting (>5 days) very suspect.

skiberg

Ok, makes sense. Basically its something we all do when we talk about weather. Sort of like a more sophisticated Famers Almanac. I think you may draw a correlation and it may be predictive. Combine that with the computer modeling and you can draw a reasonable forecast.

BenedictGomez

Here's a great depiction of why the Sunday/Monday storm doesnt look like a big deal at the moment, it's not phasing. The timing isnt right. Like two ships passing in the night instead of linking up.

575268_10152167098303476_6130481_n.jpg

Wavewheeler

If we get another useless coastal POS storm and NOTHING up north I'm going to throw myself off a cliff. :sadwalk:

But first I'm heading out to enjoy what fell last night and today. :snow: I'll worry about Sunday on Saturday.

abc

If we get another useless coastal POS storm and NOTHING up north I'm going to throw myself off a cliff. :sadwalk:

But first I'm heading out to enjoy what fell last night and today. :snow: I'll worry about Sunday on Saturday.
With what had fallen, you'll have a nice soft landing off the cliff!:)