• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feb 3rd 2014 nearly real-time snow reports

BenedictGomez

Just went out for another shoveling and bird feeder run. I'm thinking 8.5 (new) inches.

Those birds sure eat like pigs when it's snowing.

Wavewheeler

Traffic must be paralyzed down there...

Coating on the cars here in Burlington, Mass. Nothing on the main roads but this afternoon's commute is sure to be crappy.

Supposedly the major roads are fine and all the schools and a lot of businesses are closed. I've been home so I have no idea how the roads are and hope they are clear by tomorrow.

I'm still waiting for my apartment complex to clear stuff so I can get my work truck shoveled out. This is a wet, heavy, slushy snow. The absolute WORST kind IMO.

This type of snowfall amount are quite common. I'm on the central NJ shoreline, around Sandy Hook. They laid the brine stuff down last night so it should be good, especially since it's close to the freezing mark.

The 2011 post Christmas storm was the worst I remember. Almost 3' of snow and many major highways were impassable. I've never seen it that bad before or since. Another stupid southern coastal storm if I recall correctly.

hammer

The 2011 post Christmas storm was the worst I remember. Almost 3' of snow and many major highways were impassable. I've never seen it that bad before or since. Another stupid southern coastal storm if I recall correctly.
That was the one where the parkway wasn't completely plowed. Would be going down the road and you would lose a lane without warning. Pretty bad situation.

abc

I like this thread. Gives a sense of what the ground condition in various places are like, traffic too. :D

Wavewheeler

That was the one where the parkway wasn't completely plowed. Would be going down the road and you would lose a lane without warning. Pretty bad situation.

Yeah, it was bad. I have lived here all my life and never saw it that bad. I couldn't even get my Jeep out of the garage. There were 6' drifts on my garage door. Two days after I had to pay $300 to get my driveway and sidewalk shoveled out because I was moving the next day. Couldn't find anyone the first day after the storm. I get to my new apartment and the walkway to IT wasn't shoveled. :eek: