• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When have you hit "Tuna Speed"?

moguler6

I don't know how to do a screen capture from my phone, but here is a screen capture of the AlpineReplay stats. That was last winter on full FIS ace stock straight lining. Go ahead and tell me how its fake.

Fake!

If you can do this, join the US Ski Team.

vermonter44

I've never reached Tunaspeed. I think the fastest I've gone was about 45 at Sugarloaf in December this year. Personally, I don;t feel the need to go faster.

Domeskier

The difference between hitting crazy top speeds while ina race coarse navigating gates, and straight lining a steep run are far greater than you think.

Exactly. If downhill courses were set up to maximize speed, the racers would be hitting 140mph+ like in the video skiNEwhere posted. That's the proper comparison and the fact that people are reporting top speeds of about half that puts it well within the bounds of possibility.

MadMadWorld

Exactly. If downhill courses were set up to maximize speed, the racers would be hitting 140mph+ like in the video skiNEwhere posted. That's the proper comparison and the fact that people are reporting top speeds of about half that puts it well within the bounds of possibility.

But at the same time the pitch and sustained vertical is much longer than any mountain anyone has mentioned here. Hitting the speeds that people have claimed on the mountains mentioned are very unlikely.

MadMadWorld

And not to be a douche but if you really are going 60-80 mph on an open trail you are putting everyone else at risk. There is no way you can avoid another skier if they were to turn in front of you. If you want to turn your brain into scrambled eggs go for it but putting everyone else at risk is reckless

Domeskier

But at the same time the pitch and sustained vertical is much longer than any mountain anyone has mentioned here. Hitting the speeds that people have claimed on the mountains mentioned are very unlikely.

Point taken. However, the fact that skiers were hitting 70+ within seconds out of the start on the Sochi downhill course seems to suggest that you really don't need a particularly long sustain pitch to achieve Tunaspeed. I guess I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt until someone explains why the programs they are using are inaccurate in so many cases. Of course, I'm pretty sure I've never actually seen someone skiing at Tunaspeed or even close to it at any resort I've skied. Then again, maybe I don't get out enough.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
The radar gunned speed I've used as an example in the past was on the lower part of Lower Warren's Way at Burke (CCC road to the bottom of the Poma). I hit 63mph over the 250-300 vert of the run (700 ft length). On a steeper slope with a longer run (e.g. Upper Warrens Way) I could certainly see 70 being achievable before wind drag takes over. However, skiing over 60 is not really a good idea unless you are on a closed course.

MadMadWorld

The radar gunned speed I've used as an example in the past was on the lower part of Lower Warren's Way at Burke (CCC road to the bottom of the Poma). I hit 63mph over the 250-300 vert of the run (700 ft length). On a steeper slope with a longer run (e.g. Upper Warrens Way) I could certainly see 70 being achievable before wind drag takes over. However, skiing over 60 is not really a good idea unless you are on a closed course.

Interesting. That's is not a lot of area. Someone had a gun? I'll just steal a LIDAR from the inventory closet. That would give a very precise reading. I'm sure no one would mind!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I would believe that over an app any day. Did you take additional runs to test the accuracy?

I took two runs. The first I hit 57 mph but I had my coat on and I could feel my hood billowing up like a sail creating a lot of drag. I ditched the coat and hit the 63 mph mark. I could still feel a lot of drag on my ski pants and my helmet was getting sucked off my head. The only person faster than me that day was a racer kid in a speed suit and on GS skis. He hit 65 mph.