• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 2/9/2014

Euler

Spent 9:30-4:00 at Mt. Snow. I was pleasantly surprised by the blue sky and sunshine which was not in the forecast. The day was divided into three 2 hour chunks. Spent the morning showing some friends many of the natural snow blue suqares. We skied Hop, Shootout, Big Dipper, and Uncles. Also threw in Ridge and Thanks Walt for some rest. There's just enough snow to make the naturals skiable and fun, but they are all pretty boney...ice, rocks, grass, brambles, baby pine trees...we skied over a lot of stuff this morning! Had lots of fun, though and felt smug using the Sundance Lift with NO liftline all morning long.
After a brief lunch break and a check in with my son and his friends, I skied the next 2 hours by myself. Started with Upper and Lower Ledge, then headed to the North Face where I helped keep Ripcord nice and smooth when My ski slipped out about half way down the steep section and I slid the rest of the way down...I was like a human groomer. Did two really nice runs down Plummet while I was over there. Plummet was skiing great today, but again, there's just enough cover to make it good. If we get any kind of warm up, all the natural trails at Mt. Snow will be toasted within a day.
Finished up the day with a few runs with son's friend's mom. We tried Ridge which was badly skied off at that point, and then headed over to Snowdance. Far skier's right of Snowdance was magnificent...it's natural snow on that side...fan guns line the other side of the trail and don't shoot that far. Since it's not as well groomed as the left side, the traffic on it is low and the snow was loos and velvety smooth. Did a few laps there, and called it a day. Really fun day, but I kept thinking "This is midwinter conditions?" as I worked my way around and over the rocks and brambles....Sure hope we get some more snow before Spring arrives.:daffy:

Last edited:

sankaty

Skied Mount Snow Sat and Sun and had an experience similar to yours. Conditions were generally good as long as we avoided the high traffic trails such as Ridge. The natural snow trails skied better on Saturday, with the thin spots becoming more of an issue Sunday. Agree that Plummet was the best North Face run. I also had a lot of fun skiing small bumps and rolls on Overbrook with my daughter. If the mountain can get a few more inches of snow this week, they'll be in great shape.

Glenn

Nice TR. We there Saturday and found the conditions good overall. A little scratch here and there; we didn't venture into the woods. Anyone ride the Grand Summit either day? On Saturday, we could not get to the top without at least 2-3 stops each time. Second weekend in a row we noticed that.

sankaty

We commented on the relatively frequent stops on the Grand Summit as well. It was happening back when we visited on the 25th as well, and they had mechanics working to keep the lift running for part of the day. Perhaps they are still having some issues with that lift. In most cases, it was just a minor nuisance, and it was on balance a quicker route to the top than the Bluebird.

Mount Snow can move a lot of people with all those lifts going. I've been impressed the last couple of weekends about how manageable the lift lines have been during our last couple of weekend visits. It can be a little crazy at the top, though, and the beginner runs from the summit are way too crowded. Our little ones were almost run down by careless skiers/riders several times on Long John.

Glenn

Thanks Sankaty. I wanted get some feedback before potentially bringing it up on the passholder's site.

drjeff

I wonder if some of the stoppages aren't just due to the loading gates + carpet, but the difference in loading time between the Grand Summit and the Bluebird. If you have someone unfamiliar with the Grand Summit and the loading carpet AND they've taken a few runs on the Bluebird prior to heading for the shorter lines of the Grand Summit, not only is the "lean on, stand still" instruction signs (which works perfectly if you do it ;) ) "new" but they also have 3 less seconds to position themselves to load since the Bluebird loads in 9 second interval whereas the Grand Summit loads at 6 second intervals. That may play into stoppage issues

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app