• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deer Valley: Feb. 5, 2014

thetrailboss

Staff member
Resort: Deer Valley

Date: Feb. 5, 2014

Weather/Conditions: Sunny and cold, PP/MG

Trip Report No. 16

Wednesday funday at Deer Valley. What about work? Well, it was at Deer Valley. My new employer has a ski day for clients and key employees and I was invited. It was cold….single digits, but the drive up was so nice and crystal clear. I made good time and secured sweet parking like my last visit. Not quite rockstar, but certainly the next level. I was hoping for better snow than my last visit but it blew away my expectations.

This time I had my strategy down right….like I learned last year, follow the sun. So after grabbing my ticket and a firm logoed neck gator, I was out and on Carpenter heading up. It was chilly, but a bluebird day. Ripping the starched cord on Wasatch and Sultan was a great way to start off—Stein’s Way, Edgar’s Alley, Perseverance, Tycoon, Keno, Legal Tender, and Keno were all mint…the Monsters shredded the cord up nicely. The new snow really cushioned the ride. Perseverance Bowl had caught some drifted snow and was nice and soft albeit tricky because the bump lines were hidden.

My fun run race sucked…in part because I made up my own course at the top….but there was no time to dilly dally. I hit Quincy and sped down Bluebell to Woodside directly to Lady Morgan. I figured that the new snow might make my favorite natural spots in Empire decent but I had no idea. On the lift ride up the terrain directly under Lady Morgan caught my eye. As I got off the lift my skis just headed right over there without any conscious thought process. Boy, oh boy, was it good. I danced in the soft snow up top and took a detour around the cliffs and through the sage onto Hillside, but I really wanted the liftline under the cliffs. So I went right back and picked my way over. It was great…folks were glued to the groomers and I had fresh tracks on this line.

Delicious:

download

download

download

Monsters:

download

Back up once more to hit Lower Argus and I was stopped by the liftie at the top. I was ready for some questioning and instead was met by enthusiastic praise and questions about how the snow was. He had been watching me hit the goods. We saw each other a few more times that day and he asked me how it was.

I worked my way back to Silver Lake for lunch hitting Ontairo Bowl from the top. Wow, oh wow was it great.

download

On the way back out I did Red Cloud to Peeler before going right back to Lady Morgan and Centennial Woods proper before finding an interesting area right in between Magnet and the Montage.

Centennial Woods:

download

I closed down Empire by doing my favorite of the Daly Chutes and Daly Bowl before a final run down Conviction. I was so beat that I took the Silver Lake Express back to the bottom.

A great day of trees, natural snow, and some groomers. Perfect Deer Valley in my book.

More pics soon…