• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

Newpylong

Good to see the AMC not completely opposed. I am sure they can create local retention ponds that are filled as needed.

mbedle

Yeah, a couple with some of them having their steepest terrain. Not sure if that matters to much, look at places like Stowe and Bromley, they seem to handle it pretty well. If this happens, its going to make some very rich land owners along route 26!

Newpylong

Aside from the goofy Sunday River style Otten lifts some of those runs look pretty sweet, though I am sure highly preliminary.

To me the possibility of the first full scale build out in a long time in NE is exciting.

slatham

Sorry, but my gut reaction to seeing that proposal is its fantasy land. But even if they get to 50% it will be major.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The state has backed the project financially. It may not reach "biggest in the east" status, but at this point I wouldn't bet against the place reopening

Edd

Yeah, I'm less skeptical than I was initially. They appear committed. It'll be very interesting to see what happens.

Talking with friends this winter, there were thoughts of opening a business in the area. Premature, at this juncture, but, if this goes as planned, there will be tempting opportunities.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Who's in on buying up some of the clear cut land on the other side of the valley and building some mountainside chalets that have a great view of the new ski area and Mt Washington?

(I actually have no idea if the land is for sale)

Edd

Who's in on buying up some of the clear cut land on the other side of the valley and building some mountainside chalets that have a great view of the new ski area and Mt Washington?

(I actually have no idea if the land is for sale)

I mean, that's one of the moves, right? Those that have the capital to risk and the will to do it. No doubt quite a few well funded folks are eyeballing the area. Realistically, there are better ways to make money, but if you're into the ski country lifestyle....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
What no plans for zip lines, rope mazes or a mountain coaster yet?

How short sighted.

Not yet. They should be jealous of that Vermont place further south that has all those cool things. Heard it really made the resort a boom town in the summer months. Who needs to invest in the on-mountain winter product when you have zip lines!

steamboat1

Not yet. They should be jealous of that Vermont place further south that has all those cool things. Heard it really made the resort a boom town in the summer months. Who needs to invest in the on-mountain winter product when you have zip lines!
Yep, no investment.

Just that silly summer stuff.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 16743669458_0b385914aa_c.jpg
    16743669458_0b385914aa_c.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 373

AdironRider

What no plans for zip lines, rope mazes or a mountain coaster yet?

How short sighted.

I do feel that Les seems to be going a bit more high end than the Bromleys and Cranmores of the world.

While I don't see 100% buildout of trails, I'd put my money on a reopen, with 1-3 of those trail pods coming to fruition, but not like all 7 of them.

ThinkSnow

I do feel that Les seems to be going a bit more high end than the Bromleys and Cranmores of the world.

While I don't see 100% buildout of trails, I'd put my money on a reopen, with 1-3 of those trail pods coming to fruition, but not like all 7 of them.

Yes, lets hope we don't see another "Grand Summit Hotel" (ASC era slopeside motel), but something more along the line of Stowe's Mountain Lodge.