• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Balsams Grand Resort teams up with ski industry legend Les Otten

JDMRoma

Cannon has most of its steep terrain at the bottom with no runout.

There are run outs on the front five, but your haulin ass when you get to them. Think of it as a cool down section !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

There are run outs on the front five, but your haulin ass when you get to them. Think of it as a cool down section !!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

From Zoomer or Pauli's to the Zoomer chair I would say not so much. Avalanche to Zoomer Chair maybe a little like you said you are haulin' there. Banshee to Zoomer Chair - yup runout. Getting to the Tram yup run outs if.... if you take the wrong path! All runouts there can be avoided!

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
So almost any trail that doesn't end directly at a lift qualifies as having a "runout" that is detrimental to your skiing experience :roll:.
The only way to truly solve this problem is to have a lift serving every single trail.

ScottySkis

So almost any trail that doesn't end directly at a lift qualifies as having a "runout" that is detrimental to your skiing experience :roll:.
The only way to truly solve this problem is to have a lift serving every single trail.

That what is great about a hill in Roxbruyhhhhhyy ny

machski

Went up and hiked the Northern rim of the notch. From this shot, I can see some appeal of the place. That said, driving north then back south to see the old ski area and dixville peak behind it, it just does not look "Big" to me like SL, SB, Stowe, Jay, Cannon, Wildcat or even SR. But the foliage against the lake and hotel is beautiful.

Attachments

• 1444600237222.jpg
    1444600237222.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 314

wtcobb

Hiked up to Table Rock and along the ridge to the cascades this weekend. Being in the depths of stick season, the area was completely empty.

Sitting atop Table Rock.

attachment.php

Leaning over the edge to capture the cliff face. Rt. 26 and the pond below.

attachment.php

If the proposed lifts from the resort do stretch over 26, that would make for one dramatic lift ride alongside the table. Along the CT to the cascades there were a ton of recent survey markers. The state/private land line stretches very close to the current hiking trail, and overlaps in some spots. Heading back down to the cascade I remarked that the terrain would make for some great skiing, even in its current state: nice wide hardwoods, easy declines with some swift drops... I imagine it could be a bit like SR's Blind Ambition playground.

Though I'm not equipped to shell out for an ownership stake, I'd certainly visit this place. About 1.5 hours from my house, and an easy/scenic drive up Rt. 3. Lancaster has a nice downtown. Groveton and Colebrook have some really depressed areas, though. Not much driving the economy besides the Corridor traffic. Just along Rt. 3 there are a lot of homes for sale/foreclosed. A development this size would certainly help provide jobs and tourist spending to the area...

Attachments

• tablerock1.jpg
    tablerock1.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 263
  • tablerock2.jpg
    tablerock2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 262

Mapnut

Hiked up to Table Rock and along the ridge to the cascades this weekend. Being in the depths of stick season, the area was completely empty.

QUOTE]
Thanks for the great photos! Hiking in "stick season" can be great if the weather cooperates. But on November 15 Breakneck Ridge near Cold Spring, NY was mobbed. Saw probably 200 people in a 4-hour hike, the most I've ever seen. That you saw nobody might be a comment on Balsams' remoteness.

wtcobb

That you saw nobody might be a comment on Balsams' remoteness.

I'd agree with that. Road traffic was sparse the whole way up, and walking back 1.5 miles along 26 to the car only a handful of drivers passed us.

I must say I was surprised to find Balsams is 2.5 hours to Montreal - it's the same from Littleton, much further south. But Littleton has highway access through 91/10 where Dixville has winding backroads.

Edd

This was Table Rock in Grafton Notch, yes? A lot of bang for your buck with that hike.

Edd

Not the one in Grafton Notch. There is only one road there, and you can see the intersection in her pics.

I was thinking the same about that intersection, but I'm not aware of another Table Rock in that area. Are there 2 Table Rocks along Rt 26 in that region?