• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bear Creek 2-12-14

Took the boy out after work for a quick session. Picked up a discount voucher at Stowe (no not that Stowe) Ski Shop, so we both skied for $25 total. Not too bad. We stuck to the magic carpet area. He enjoyed the carpet rides and especially the skiing. This was our first time on skis together. He really enjoyed sliding as I held him. What a schlep though. Getting the gear on, carrying all the stuff from the car to the hill, carrying him part of the way as he is still getting used to walking in boots. I was sweating like a hog in 20F weather. Totally worth it to hear him whoop as we scooted down the hill. One complaint: Bear Creek has a rule that all riders must take off their skis/board before getting on the magic carpet. I was nonplussed, but also felt terrible for the poor lifty kid that has to tell everyone this and enforce what he admitted was an insane policy. Taking off and putting back on both our skis each run was kind of annoying, and limited our ski time. The first time we had to pop off the skis to get on the carpet the boy freaked because he thought we were done. I explained that we had to do it to go up the hill. Not sure if I'll go back, or if this is a common policy? I know Spring Mount doesn't make people do this. Anyway, it was worth the $25 and if I decide to go back next time I'll force the wife to come along and share in the schlepping.

Cornhead

Sounds like a great day with your boy. I've never heard of a place making you take your skis off to ride the magic carpet, weird. I got to ski with my "little" boy yesterday, he's 6' 3", 200lbs. If you get tired of schlepping, just remember, he'll be all growed up in the blink of an eye. Mine is moving to Boulder in a month, I'll miss having him right down the road, but look forward to using a good chunk of my four weeks vacation to visit him there. My Mom almost cried when I told her of his plans, he's her only grandchild.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'll be spending a LOT of time on the magic carpet areas in the next few years as my little tykes progress to plastic skis and then kids skis.

I'll be spending a LOT of time on the magic carpet areas in the next few years as my little tykes progress to plastic skis and then kids skis.

if i can offer one piece of advice: bring someone to help...gearing up a toddler and getting them and all the equipment from the car/lodge to the slope and back again is a serious workout.

Cornhead

I had a funny experience at Platty, some guy had a plastic laundry basket to haul the kids' boots and other gear. I commented that it was a clever idea, his wife just rolled her eyes. I guess it's an ongoing debate between the couple, he thinks it's convenient, she thinks it's trailer park. At Stowe maybe, at Platty, it fit perfectly. I think I made his day.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

legalskier

He really enjoyed sliding as I held him. What a schlep though. Getting the gear on, carrying all the stuff from the car to the hill, carrying him part of the way as he is still getting used to walking in boots. I was sweating like a hog in 20F weather. Totally worth it to hear him whoop as we scooted down the hill.

Been there, done that- and you're right, it's totally worth it. Take lots of pics. Enjoy it while you have it.
Once he's old enough you ought to wean him off of depending on you to hold him up & nudge him towards independent skiing. Also, your back will appreciate it once he learns how to stand up on his own without you picking him up after he sits down.

One complaint: Bear Creek has a rule that all riders must take off their skis/board before getting on the magic carpet....Not sure if I'll go back, or if this is a common policy? I know Spring Mount doesn't make people do this.

Never heard of such a thing. Seems more dangerous to me- people are more tipsy without their skis on.